What's new

LTE or not LTE?

LTE or not LTE

• Total voters

netuser

CDMA =/ GSM

CDMA is Sprint and Verizon
GSM is T-Mobile and AT&T

There won't be a single device capable of LTE that can access CDMA and GSM networks.

Yes it's possible. They can install a mobile broadband chip that works on multiple carriers.
Verizon iPhone 5 and up also works on AT&T and T-Mobile.
LTE isn't CDMA.

Johnny365

News to me! Though I was talking about a phone working on CDMA and GSM without switching sim cards out (ala roaming). I doubt there is at this point.

Also no one said LTE was CDMA only.

netuser

Same with iPad. LTE iPads can work between Verizon and GSM carriers.
If it can be done with an iPad, it's possible that they could make an LTE Surface 3 that works on both Verizon and T-Mobile instead of totally separate SKUs for Verizon model vs T-Mobile model.

Dmcgrath009

Yes it is possible to have an LTE variant of the surface that will work on both CDMA and GSM carriers although it is unlikely to work on the systems that require multiple band use like Verizons X-LTE and Sprint Spark and this would require a different sim for each carrier you are using it on. until there is some sort of joint agreement between carries to offer some sort of combined LTE plan that uses more than just thier own towers. right now there are not even any roaming agreements between the big 4 US carriers. So when you are on ATT LTE (or any other) you have no chance of roaming on another carrier.

Part of the reason behind this is they all use different bands of spectrum.

Also in my opinion the LTE model is not necessary. I prefer to tether from my Galaxy Note 4

Last edited:

netuser

Sprint compatibility is not going to happen, It is Verizon and T-Mobile only. If it can work with later model Verizon iPads which can be also work with GSM LTE carriers, it should also be possible for something similar to be done with a Surface, The tablets are LTE data only, so they don't have as many compatibility issues as a CDMA voice phone,
Earlier Verizon iPads only worked on Verizon, but after Verizon switched to LTE data and Apple updated the iPad hardware,, compatibility became better.

Most people will prefer to tether to avoid a separate data plan bill, but LTE is needed for everyone else.
Sometimes you don't want to burn your phone battery charge out by tethering or else the data plan is being paid by your company so tethering from your personal phone is not an option. Built-in LTE is more convenient that either using a MiFi or tethering to a phone.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most people will prefer to tether to avoid a separate data plan bill

For me this is not really an issue, payments are all automated, it's not that much to keep track of. the main issue for me is that over here, there just aren't any attractively priced data plans.

Tablet plan - £15 a month, 10gb data, no texts, no minutes
Phone plan - £17 a month, unlimited data, unlimited texts, 200 minutes.

Just not worth getting a tablet sim. I'll just do any downloading I need to do via my phone and tether for emails etc. If battery is an issue then I can just pick up a cheap as chips power bank to keep in my bag.

Dmcgrath009

Well if its LTE only I would hate to be the person who purchased it for T-Mobile... With no capability for 3G, HSPA and HSPA-Plus T mobile would be a frighteningly bad choice. Verizon and AT&T are the only two with enough LTE coverage to make sense as an LTE only choice.

I confess I am a Sprint user.... Surprisingly good coverage in my area.... Unlocked hotspot with a rooted device. I have a few extra batteries for my Note 4 and it charges insanely quick with the Qualcomm quick charge 2.0 I have no desire to pick up a limited data package on a separate bill and a more expensive device all so I don't have to tap a button on my phone before using the Surface. Swap the phone battery when it dies no big deal. Lasts quite a long time in a single battery even while tethering and using the phone.

Last edited: