What's new

Low Battery Shutdown Without Warning - Default - Seriously?

R0bR

It's odd that the battery warning was not default because it was on my Surface when I picked it up in November, and was still after a reset I did a few weeks back.

Chubnut

The Surface is not a "fail" as you describe. The RT is has it's strengths and weaknesses as does the Pro. They are correct for their respective target markets. What has failed is that a) you have not selected the correct device for it's intended use and b) you are looking to pin that fail on a product which is new and admittedly, still has teething problems just as the iPad and all Google devices have had and still have at launch. Get over it and remember you're an early adopter of not only a brand new device but also a new OS, and OS (in regards to the RT) that is not meant to be for Enterprise use and well documented as such.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

ArnoldC

It's odd that the battery warning was not default because it was on my Surface when I picked it up in November, and was still after a reset I did a few weeks back.

Ditto. I deliberately unpluggeg my RT and waited for this event to happen, and it did a while ago. I have about half a dozen tasks open plus two RDP hops. I understand where the OP was coming from.

magicrobots

Yeah I'm with the OP on this one; it is a really stupid default setting. My phone gives me a warning. My iPad does. So does my Xoom. And my macbook air. And every other device I've ever used on earth. It's very strange that MS chose to make it just die by default.

ArnoldC

Here are my settings- 10%, 7%, 5% for Low, Reserve, and Critical, respectively

Here's what I get-

Low-battery-warning.png

magicrobots

Yes, we know you can set it to give you a warning. It is just strange that you have to turn it on; that it doesn't give you an alert BY DEFAULT, like every other screened device I have ever used.