What's new

Low battery life

flolp

Hello,

I bought my "Surface 3" one week ago.
I noticed that the battery life while watching a movie is 2 hours, 2 hours 30 minutes max.

Is this normal?

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

Normal is a broad question but that is well below what it probably could/should be. What type of movie and how were you watching it,streaming, on SD card, internal memory, format? A lot may depend on your update status and what else is going on while you're watching it.

OP
F

flolp

Thanks for your answer.

It was an average quality film in format .avi

And there was nothing else open.

leeshor

My guess is that you may have some other background apps running at the same time. You didn't answer some of the most important parts of my question.

leeshor

The film is in my internal memory.

And there are no updates in the background.
Now we're getting somewhere. What app are you using to play it? I assume you have the WiFi only version of the Surface 3. I also assume you have downloaded all the current firmware updates.

One big final question. If you aren't watching a movie how much battery life do you get?

stammie

I'd also ask what brightness setting were you using as well as what app did you use to play the movie.
I get around 4.5-5 hours with 65% brightness playing 720P streams via Kodi on my Surface 3 so an average avi stored internally should yield far more than you are getting

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Using apps like VLC Desktop for mkv files will drain batteries faster than using Modern Apps

OP
F

flolp

I have the "surface 3 wifi"

I use windows application "Film and TV" to watch my films.

Brightness 100% with automatic variation.

In normal use the battery takes 2 hours 30.

I need to check if I have "windows update" to perform.

leeshor

Brightness at 100% and auto bright on, you'll need to expect shorter battery life. It takes a lot of energy to push all those pixels and even more with those settings.