What's new

Love it but it keeps freezing

a.colleen

The Surface 3 is everything I wanted. But the first one I bought continued to show an error screen and needed hard resets. I took it back. The new one worked perfectly for a week and is now starting to freeze once a day. I don't want to return it. I just want to know it won't freeze while I'm working.
I only have one tab open in Chrome and one piece of software running when it happens. I keep installing the updates, including the optional ones.

I'd love to hear any fixes. I love it--as long as it's working.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Surface 3 is everything I wanted. But the first one I bought continued to show an error screen and needed hard resets. I took it back. The new one worked perfectly for a week and is now starting to freeze once a day. I don't want to return it. I just want to know it won't freeze while I'm working.
I only have one tab open in Chrome and one piece of software running when it happens. I keep installing the updates, including the optional ones.

I'd love to hear any fixes. I love it--as long as it's working.
What happens if you completely uninstall Chrome?

OP
A

a.colleen

Are these momentary freezes or what exactly?
They are complete freezes. Sometimes in an app I get the bounce back to the start screen for no reason, but these are solid, cannot use anything freezes. No mouse, no touch, no keyboard response. I have to do the hard reset on the power button.

On the first machine, I had trusted my automatic backups with the writing software, but even the automatic backup was corrupted. I contacted that software developer (Scrivener) t0 find out if they'd had any problems with Windows 8.1 or the Surface 3 but they said nothing had been reported.
Now I'm doing manual saves and snapshots.
I don't usually have a lot of tabs running. Too distracting. :)

Korruptor

I use Google Chrome and IE at the same time and haven't had any issues, except on Thursday, videos were really sluggish. My desktop PC (i5, Nvidia GTX 970, 16GB of RAM) also had the same issue that day, too. I've also been playing Steam games on it (Rogue Legacy, mainly) and using the Kindle app. Sometimes with all of that open at the same time. (I have the 4GB version)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are complete freezes. Sometimes in an app I get the bounce back to the start screen for no reason, but these are solid, cannot use anything freezes. No mouse, no touch, no keyboard response. I have to do the hard reset on the power button.

On the first machine, I had trusted my automatic backups with the writing software, but even the automatic backup was corrupted. I contacted that software developer (Scrivener) t0 find out if they'd had any problems with Windows 8.1 or the Surface 3 but they said nothing had been reported.
Now I'm doing manual saves and snapshots.
I don't usually have a lot of tabs running. Too distracting. :)
App crashing could lead to resource depletion and your problem.

Which app or apps are crashing?

Was there anything you installed just before this started?

What all do you have installed?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you. I will try that. Though I will be sad to lose my Chrome apps on my mobile computer. Do you recommend Firefox?
Chrome is awful on Windows Devices, especially on S0iX enabled machines such as the SP3 and S3. Firefox is better than Chrome.

netuser

Chrome is awful on Windows Devices, especially on S0iX enabled machines such as the SP3 and S3. Firefox is better than Chrome.
Chrome has a nice feature that IE doesn't. It recognizes and uses the on screen keyboard automatically when on the desktop.
Don't know why Microsoft's own browser doesn't do this on the desktop. Saves the step of having to keep manually launching the keyboard from the task bar.
IE also fails to properly play some web based videos properly.
Some plugins don't work as well in IE such as Lastpass. In IE you need a toolbar just for Lastpass and it wastes screen real estate and can't be used with IE on the Start Screen
If I keep having to switch out of IE to do more and more things, might as well make Chrome default