What's new

Love everything about surface book, but not the hinge!

double07

I currently own the SP3. I played around with surface book at BestBuy and I really like it. Like it enough to dump my SP3. I don't like the hinge design. I feel like this will break off the first few days in the backpack. The panel and keyboard are not flushed. This really prevent me from pulling the trigger. This sounds like it was designed to be carried around by hand. Why? Microsoft why?

OP
D

double07

The hinge itself looks cool. It is the gap in between that I am not too keen with. I feel like it is a weakest link. Maybe I am just worry about nothing.

fletch33

one thing that kept happening to me was that if i opened it up while sitting down with shorts it pinched my legs badly at that hinge and im sure if i decided to keep it i would have learned to not adjust the hinge while on lap but i returned it for many reasons for SP4

Korlon

Not having played with the SB may make this opinion moot, but my major concern is that darned gap. There is no state (open, closed, reversed) which prevents foreign objects from getting inside. Obviously I wouldn't put this thing in a bag with a hammer or cast iron sheers but I know my bag/knapsack/briefcases are filthy with dust, hair, particles from whatever, and I also know that stuff will get into the keyboard and stick to the screen.

Someone will obviously respond with "Get a bag or pouch to put the SB in". Let me ask about the insanity of buying a bag for something just to put it into another bag. If that doesn't ring a chord, well what happens when that SB case/bag/pouch whatever gets dirty? Buy another?

Hinge looks cool, but the practicality of it I seriously question.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not having played with the SB may make this opinion moot, but my major concern is that darned gap. There is no state (open, closed, reversed) which prevents foreign objects from getting inside. Obviously I wouldn't put this thing in a bag with a hammer or cast iron sheers but I know my bag/knapsack/briefcases are filthy with dust, hair, particles from whatever, and I also know that stuff will get into the keyboard and stick to the screen.

Someone will obviously respond with "Get a bag or pouch to put the SB in". Let me ask about the insanity of buying a bag for something just to put it into another bag. If that doesn't ring a chord, well what happens when that SB case/bag/pouch whatever gets dirty? Buy another?

Hinge looks cool, but the practicality of it I seriously question.

I keep my bag as spotless as can be. There are also large zips inside for document pockets etc. I've seen these zippers occasionally being problematic with the sp3, I can only imagine what could happen with this. Huge design flaw imo, that makes me question buying the thing. The hinge seems to be the issue with all convertibles, and this seems as bad as the rest.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I was wondering how the hinge wound work when not attached to the clipboard (screen). I was worried that it might flop around, like in a book bag, or being otherwise transported or stored.

Not to worry. The hinge is arrested when the screen is detached. A very hardy, firm lock. Won't budge. Glad about that.