What's new

Looking for a good TO DO list (tasks) app

Wayne Orwig

I am looking for a good app that includes displaying my TO DO list in a live tile. I want to sync it with another PC running Win 8.1, and an Android phone.

The long story:
Years ago I used Windows Mobile devices synced to Outlook. I had a screen with Outlook tasks and my calendar. I moved on to Android and lost my Outlook Tasks, but I used Google tasks, just on my Android phone. Now all of my PCs are Win 8.1. Outlook.com has some sort of 'tasks' support, but I don't see it sync to my PCs in any for. There are a few Win 8.1 Apps that sync to Google tasks, but nothing with a live tile view that is worth anything, that I have found.

I can display Google Tasks on my phones easy enough. If I could get something like that on Win 8.1, that would be great. If I don't use Google, I'm good with that too.

Anyone have a good solution?
Please don't suggest something from the store that you have not tried, they all suck from what I have found so far.

Thanks

bulls96

I use To-Do Prime app. It syncs my Lumia Icon and SUrface. Its not wquite automatic yet though. You have to sync from within the app.

CreativeLemming

If only Microsoft would integrate onenote tasks into the OS then you wouldn't need a 3rd party app. Can't believe they haven't done this (sorry, not an answer to your question but this is the one of the things that really annoys me, plus the inability to ink on onenote one the Lumia 1520 while you can on Samsung android devices, but that's a discussion for another forum)

Last edited:

CreativeLemming

Teknoblast, how do you view your todos in your calendar or todo list (apart from filtering in the desktop app)? Maybe I'm missing a trick...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OneNote Task Lists will integrate with Outlook....so I will take meeting notes from a Calendar Appointment in OneNote and any tasks I create end up in Outlook...

CreativeLemming

....sure, outlook, but the tasks don't appear/sync on your phone and they don't appear on the metro calendar or metro onenote app. That's my gripe, sure there's a way but or needs to be more integrated

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
....sure, outlook, but the tasks don't appear/sync on your phone and they don't appear on the metro calendar or metro onenote app. That's my gripe, sure there's a way but or needs to be more integrated
They stay connected and I can access them in OneNote on my Phone. BTW - Inking will come to Office on Windows Phone when Office Gemini is released around the time of Windows Threshold. The blocker is that the Phone Team integrated Office into the Core OS so no out of band updates until it gets decoupled in Threshold...

OP
Wayne Orwig

Wayne Orwig

Well, for now I have settled on "Hot Tasks" on my windows devices and "Tasks Free" on my Android phone. That is close enough for now, but I will keep looking.
So many things either don't support a Live Tile, or don't update the live tile without being opened first, or use a proprietary system that you can access any way but with their app. I've been disappointed for years because Microsoft doesn't give more priority to this.

eltos_lightfoot

I have struggled with finding a good todo app as well. I finally just settled on wunderlist--especially now that they have their metro app.

HvT

Years ago I switched from OneNote to MLO - My Life Organized. Does it's job pretty good, even on various kinds of mobile devices. One can implement different concepts, such as FC or GTD.
It syncs with Outlook, too. But I tend to manage my projects, meeting minutes and notes in OneNote. OneNote requires much more mouse movements, respectively touch gestures. That is a bit annoying and time consuming compared to such specialized apps. But everything stays in one place. And that's a very good reason to stay with OneNote.
If you need a sophisticated solution and if you can separate notes and such from your todo list, MLO is a good tool. But it is actually available for desktop only.

Edit: ...and these two or three MLO guys are responsive, if you get in touch with them.