What's new

Login Loop

RaulGM

I have a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10 and joined to a domain. The device has been working perfectly since I bought it, including the Windows 10 update. I just installed the 1/19/2016 update and I am now experiencing a login issue. I enter my username and password, the login screen flashes briefly and returns me to the welcome screen. I have used an alternative account and the same issue occurs. I have verified that the date and time are correct; i have tried both wired and wireless connections to the domain. I have searched for solutions but have not found any. I don't want to perform a hard reset . . . that would suck especially because the surface has been working great since day 1.

thanks in advance for your help!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@RaulGM

Try a cold reboot.
1) Hold power button for 30 seconds. Shuts down cold.
2) Hold volume rocker UP button and power on. Continue holding both for 30 seconds.
3) Exit the UEFI screen. Make no changes.

OP
R

RaulGM

OK . . . I have tried multiple things to get the Surface unlocked (the above - which did not work). I have tried advanced troubleshooting, resetting saving files, not saving files, and that did not work. I went to the last resort and reset to factory, which took me back to Windows 8.1 (I updated to Windows 10). Once Win8.1 was reinstalled I updated to Win10 again. So I attempted to log in again, and sam issue as before. I called Microsoft and was told that I would need to pay $499 for diagnostics. Which to me is akin to to ransomware. the issue was caused by the January 19 firmware update. I mentioned this to the technician (who did not know what firmware was and even asked me the spell it out for him!!!) and he told me if the diagnostics showed that it was the surface it would be refunded to me (bogus, MS gets to hold my money until a refund occurs). so now I have a brick that MS broke and now want money to fix . . . again, ransomware. If someone else has any ideas on how to remove firmware, I would greatly appreciate it.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@RaulGM

Search for Device Manager.
Find "Firmware" in the list.
You will then see options to "Roll back driver" for various devices.

OP
R

RaulGM

thanks, but the issue is that I am unable to log in at all. its stuck on a logon loop, as soon as I log in, it kicks me back out to the login screen/prompt.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Go back to Windows 8.1 again, and then roll back firmware. Then apply Windows 10.
After that, refuse the apparently offending 1/19/2016 firmware update.