What's new

linking to google calendar

Suzanne K

I linked the Surface People app to my Google Account so I could access my google contacts using the Surface. Is there a way to do the same for the Calendar app?

rjwerth

Nope, one of the many faux pas Microsoft has done needlessly that keep people from adapting to the metro interface. I have an entire list of grievances of things like this that, if corrected would have a whole lot more people flocking to Surface and other touch based devices w/Windows 8

Telstar1948

I use OneCalendar also. I use Office 365, but syncing was an issue with my Note 3, so I went with eM Client for email, and wouldn't you know it? ...everything syncs without issue: contacts, calendar (eM Client's calendar and OneCalendar, Note 3 calendar) etc. I'm lacking a MUI app for contacts since I haven't found one yet that provides the things I want and syncs with my other stuff...still looking. For quick use MUI works well in most cases.

fonzman78

I use OneCalendar also. I use Office 365, but syncing was an issue with my Note 3, so I went with eM Client for email, and wouldn't you know it? ...everything syncs without issue: contacts, calendar (eM Client's calendar and OneCalendar, Note 3 calendar) etc. I'm lacking a MUI app for contacts since I haven't found one yet that provides the things I want and syncs with my other stuff...still looking. For quick use MUI works well in most cases.

I have a Note 4 and ran into issues syncing email, calendar, and contacts with Office 365. It was very frustrating as I wanted to use Outlook but my work is using Google mail not Exchange. Having used Outlook (Exchange) for many years, using Google mail and calendar was very hard to get used to. I tried adding my work gmail and calendar account in Outlook via POP3/IMAP/Internet Calendar but nothing would sync correctly. Frustrating.

I have an SP3 i7 (Win10), an SP3 i5 (Win8), and my desktop gaming rig (Win8) each with Outlook (Office 365). With POP3, I found that email would only download to one Outlook client on one device. Whichever client was open and got it first, then the others wouldn't download it. Frustrating as I wanted the email on all devices. I tried IMAP and this worked for syncing email but my calendar was not working like I wanted. Internet Calendar was the worst. I could view my Google calendar in Outlook but I couldn't create any calendar invites in Outlook. It all had to be done on my Note 4 or via the browser using Google calendar. More frustration.

Then I found this - Google Apps Sync for Mircosoft Outlook, https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gappssync . This allows you to sync Google Mail, Calendar, and Contacts with Outlook. Works Awesome!!! Now I can use Outlook with all my devices for email, calendar, and contacts and have them all in sync. And best, I can also create calendar invites on both my Note 4 and my Surfaces and they sync up with Google calendar.