What's new

Let's talk about the hinge

Icemango

Worst case scenario though, if you are out of warranty you could always just use the surface pro 3 docking station can't you aha

RottenMutt

mine wobbles a little if wiggled, it is normal. as far as the kickstand creeping, it wasn't designed to support your hand. open the kickstand all the way and then it will not creep,

jtuck82

I made a video of the hinge pop in action.
Watch "Hinge issue - Surface Pro 3" on YouTube
Hinge issue - Surface Pro 3:

I haven't had any issue with my hinge popping like that at all. My hinge seems to be a little loose and more so on the side by the usb port but seems normal and works just fine. If mine popped like that I'd probably return it too

cdf3

After nearly several weeks of no problems with the hinge, it's now starting to make a clicking sound when I move it to different angles.

Last edited:

Icemango

My after nearly several weeks of no problems with the hinge, it's now starting to make a clicking sound when I move it to different angles.
Mine has been making a click sound since I got it one month ago. Absolutely has not gotten worse. I didn't even think about returning it because like I said, it doesn't cause any other issues. The pop noise seems to be normal too (many on this website have it).

cdf3

Just picked my SP3 up today. Have any of you had an issue with the hinge making a clicky or pop noise when opening beyond about 50% of full open? Seems the hinge on the USB side is clicky. I really hate the idea of having to drive out to the MS store again as it's a perpetually congested drive. :(

Did you ever get around to returning your SP3?
I'm really considering returning mine.
If I go beyond 50 degrees and bring it back in, it makes a click sound.
It doesn't do it all the time. I'd say it does it 60% of the time.
Hate to return it, only to have the new unit have the same problem after a few weeks of use.

ipaq_101

While getting the serial number from the back side of my Surface Pro, I noticed an area where there's no gray finish. Anyone else experience this on the under side of their kickstand? View attachment 2634

My current one has painted silver, I remember that the one original SP3 I bought, the one I exchanged out, had a black strip that had paint bleed where your silver strip is. It is very odd, most surfaces I have looked at don't have that silver strip.

Maybe it was one of those things at the factory where they had to fix it one way or another to pass it along the process.