What's new

Keyboard and Touchscreen don't work after automatic update

mexxmann

Today my computer restarted after an automatic update.

After the computer restarted, the attached Type keyboad and the touchscreen don't work at all. However, connected bluetooth or USB devices still work. I did try detaching and reattaching the keyboard.

In device manager, the following device has a yellow exclamation next to it: "Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1E26". When I open it's properties, the following errors are in the device status section:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)
Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API.

If I uninstall and re-install the device, the Type keyboard and touchscreen will start working again. However, after a reboot, it's back in the same state.

Today (July 13, 2014), the following windows 8.1 updates were installed according to my windows update history:
  • KB2972094
  • KB2975061
  • KB2959626
  • KB2971203
There were other updates to other applications like Office 2013, OneNote, PowerPoint, Defender, etc but they don't seem relevant.

Has anyone encountered this problem after these updates or other updates, and have any advice to keep the keyboard and touchscreen working after a reboot?

This kind of stuff makes me want to turn off automatic updates, which flies in the face of security, but it is so inconvenient...

wyldfyre

Yes, I just got home from church and have two papers to write for school and the keyboard quit working right after it updated. I have another computer to use, but the keyboard isn't very good so I prefer the Surface.

If I log in with the touch screen, then attach the type cover, the screen goes blank and is unresponsive until I detach it at which point it comes back on.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hello, @wyldfyre

The reply posting you just made was on a Windows 8 complaint from 5 years ago.

So your issue must be completely different. Sorry you are having trouble.

Be sure to try to visit Windows Update in your settings again. You may have some follow-up drivers waiting to be installed.

If there are no more updates for your system, then try a restart without the type cover. Connect the cover after booting and see how the computer behaves.