What's new

Kernel-Power Shutdown Issue W/ YouTube

theScrinch

Hello everyone. This is my first post in this Forums, seeking some help after searching around Google and this Forums as well for a solution to this mysterious problem.

After watching any video on YouTube using Google Chrome for a while, my device suddenly just shuts off (harshly). I turn it back on and it boots normally, and after checking the Event Viewer, I see a critical "Kernel-Power" event, which is described as: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." and the event ID is (41).

Event Data:
----
BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress 0
PowerButtonTimestamp 0 <- Sometimes it's "130923298354816429"
BootAppStatus 0
---

I noticed it seems to only happen when I am running on battery, so I requested and received a replacement from Microsoft under warranty. However, it's happening to this unit as well. Which hints at the possibility of this problem not being due to hardware fault.

This has been so frustrating. Right now this laptop has all of the updates installed, every single one of them till this date so what gives? Is it a general design flaw? Has anyone else experienced this? I am even thinking about getting rid of this tablet by selling it on eBay. :/

Zippy0n

Hi bud, ive experience this too, I thought it could be lack of memory but I found that turning off prefetch and superfetch somewhat stopped it from shutting down as much. When it happens to me it seems to be complety random, I too suspect it isn't hardware but maybe some windows 10 bug?

OP
theScrinch

theScrinch

Hi bud, ive experience this too, I thought it could be lack of memory but I found that turning off prefetch and superfetch somewhat stopped it from shutting down as much. When it happens to me it seems to be complety random, I too suspect it isn't hardware but maybe some windows 10 bug?

Hmm, interesting. I shall try this suggestion and see how the device behaves.

How odd though, since it never seems to happen when my device is plugged in to a power outlet so I thought it might have been battery failure. Also, before I sent my previous device to Microsoft I had it factory-reset to Windows 8.1 and the problems still occurred (Using Internet Explorer mind you) so that should scratch Windows 10 from the list as the culprit as well as Google Chrome. I am yet to see this behavior when playing local video files too but I haven't been doing that as much.

Will see if this has helped though, and post back soon. Thanks!

OP
theScrinch

theScrinch

Alright thought I would sign back in and update on this.

I disabled superfetch and prefetch as suggested, so far I have only had one instance of this problem. But here's the thing, it happened when my type-cover was acting up, which made me remember that the type-cover would sporadically stop responding and I would get an "unrecognized USB device" error so maybe, MAYBE the culprit is a faulty type-cover (or just bad drivers, MS has been known to do that as of late).

serious? it comes default on so I should defo turn it off?

Zippy, I looked up on superfetch and prefetch thing cause it raised the same question for me. It seems they are intended to help increase response when launching apps in machines with the traditional HDD's. I guess it would make sense to be problematic on the Surface since it uses flash memory (not even SSD). The more you know. ^_^

Zippy0n

Why didn't Microsoft disable it in the surface range then? Strange

I've had zero crashes for about 2 weeks but they were happening in clusters for me - maybe 2/3 per night - interesting that it could be the type cover! Good spot ol' chap!

Advis

Apologies for bumping an old thread. I have been tracking this issue since about June/July 2016. I am 50/50 on weather this is a hardware fault or a firmware/driver bug.

So far I have managed to make this happen 100% of the time by watching this YouTube video in either Edge or Opera browsers. I am using the 08/08/2016 firmware.

This happens with or without the keyboard attached. I have reset my Surface 3 through a recovery image.

Has anyone managed to fix this or have you just given up? Microsoft support has been very dismissive and I have recently been told over Twitter that "Surface can't support the app".

benone

Chrome does not use H264 to decode the video which takes up lots of CPU usage.
After months of research I firgured out a solution!!!

Install this plugin so YouTube video will decode as h264
h264ify

So far after the measure, I didn't experience the issue for months.
Hope it is a permanent fix and it works fine for you as well.

Advis

Thanks benone! I shall give that a try.

I am trying to get Microsoft to acknowledge it's an issue in hope of a fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk