What's new

Kensington SD4000 Docking Station

kltk1

Anyone using the Kensington SD4000 docking station with their Surface? Or any non Microsoft docking station for that matter? I'm looking at the Kensington because of it's smaller footprint (I have limited desk space) and would like to know what folks are using other than the Microsoft Docking station and how the Surface is behaving with it. I currently have a Surface 3 (Atom).

Thanks!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought the sd3500v and it works just great. Other than for gaming. I recently had to use the dock for Ethernet and a usb hard drive, and the house was just lagging all over the place while playing an fps. I was having to aim via strafing as the mouse was unusable. Just too much of a strain on the usb bandwidth I guess

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I currently use a Targus USB 3.0 docking station, like the one you mention it's low profile but it's not 4k (older 2k unit). I previously had a Pluggable USB 2.0 model (much older unit) and have used both of these USB docks for years with a variety of laptops and the Surface(s) with little to no problems. While the Targus was more expensive than the Pluggable USB 3.0 model I liked the low profile because sometimes the upright style would fall over, not really a big deal but that was my reasoning. If you want the lowest cost go with a Pluggable. The others are still cheaper than the Microsoft docks which only work with a Surface so they don't meet my needs to support other systems. 4k models are fairly recent and as such currently demand a premium price but over time these prices should drop.

OP
K

kltk1

Thank you for that. It's my understanding that any docking station but the Microsoft dock will not charge the Surface. Can anyone speak to the accuracy of that statement?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
AFAIK its true. There aren't many vendors making accessories specifically for the Surface line.

OP
K

kltk1

Thank you. I've been watching the Microsoft Surface docks available on ebay. I'm OK paying $80 for a Surface dock.

jrioux

Thank you for that. It's my understanding that any docking station but the Microsoft dock will not charge the Surface. Can anyone speak to the accuracy of that statement?
It depends on your definition of docking station. The eTauro dock (www.etauro.com) will charge the Surface.