What's new

Just smashed corner of screen - and it needed repairing already - what can I do?

spinachpie

REALLY unlucky here. My SP3 battery was degenerating badly over the last 2 months and was going to arrange to get it replaced by MS.

Well, today I dropped it (hotel porter dropped it in my bag) and the top left corner of the screen is smashed.

Will they still replace my SP3 - or now it's smashed, will they tell me that is the reason the battery is rubbish? Also, anyone know how much it costs to get this fixed with MS?

I'm so annoyed. Haven't smashed or broken a phone/laptop ever and now it's smashed by someone other than me, it has really annoyed me :(

20160530_193009.jpg

amer

NO , they wont replace because of physical damage , they took 345$ for exchange my surface although it is under normal warranty, did you registered for drop warranty (Don't remember what was it is name )

amer

Btw , repair costs different depending on the device specifications, ie core i 3-5-7- , main s i7, prepare some bugs and head to ms store , this is the life , i spent 500$ to change it so it is ok .☺

Note ,go to MS website, open a repairing request, they will take your serial and give you how Mach it is costs , (345$ is the max with taxes )
Then you can send it via FedEx on your charge , then they will send you replacement in 1week and the shipping cost to you is free ( this method not recommended as many reported that they got defective units)
Or , head up to the MS store , hand it there and take your new one , check it there , and buy a URBAN ARMOR GEAR CASE AND KEYBARD just as i did :)

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Surely you should lodge a complaint to the hotel demanding compensation?

As said though, unless you've the extended warranty then they will not fix that under warranty.

OP
spinachpie

spinachpie

Well as an update, I spoke to MS yesterday. The rep was really nice and said as this was not my fault, they will replace it Free.

If... they find that the battery issues I was having were not caused by the smash. Obviously I know my battery issues were not caused by the smash, but it's my best bet.

Yeah I could lodge a complaint with the hotel, but let's be honest, how will they ever find that their porter dropped one of my bags and caused it? I may contact them and try but it's not going to be easy.

amer

Nice , if MS will do so ,then there is no need to rap the porter , btw , when i broke my one , I told them that my kid dropped it because it was over heated like crazy , but they charged me , any way i found a cheap clothes in Dubai on a trip and sold it in my country then i got 400$ as benefit , and replaced my one ☺, this is the life .

Plantje

They can simply file a report at their insurrance right?

Nice that MS will likely still replace the device!

OP
spinachpie

spinachpie

I am going to lodge something with the hotel as well and tell them to check their camera footage as I know where and when the bag dropped. I still don't know if they will take that as guaranteed proof. But I will try both avenues and see which one sticks, otherwise I am out $500

If you got the Microsoft Complete Extended warranty I believe it's good for 2 years and 2 screen replacements ($50 deductible each replacement). The problem with the hotel video is sure they may see the porter drop the bag but there is no way to prove that the screen wasn't cracked before hand. Unfortunately because of people pulling scams and being shady a lot of companies want direct proof that they caused the damage before compensation will be paid out, it's unfortunate but understandable. I am in no way implying this is the case here, simply that there are bad apples out there that screw it up for the honest folks. Can't hurt to try though, they may do it as a good will gesture and to help maintain their reputation.