What's new

Just got my bMS Surface RT and LOVE IT!

AlPeaston

November 6, 2014

Hello all!

I have been a MS Windows person my whole life (including teaching computer programming on a college level). For the last 2.5 years I have had a Windows 8.1 Notebook, an Android tablet and Samsung S3 Android phone which have all worked reasonable well.... until...

I bought a Surface RT two weeks ago and realized I had been dealing with a brain dead tablet for all that time. THE SURFACE IS A FULL COMPUTER WITH ALL THE THING A FULL COMPUTER DOES. The android device was merely a media player with internet access; not a full computer at all. Even the much ballyhooed iPad is just a brain dead facsimile of a Mac!

From the second I took the Surface out of the box and put in my account info I was impressed! Actually I was blown away! I had wanted a tablet that would and could replace my windows 8.1 notebook and the Surface is it! It seem plenty fast, has all the software I use and need AND I was able to print to my LAN based printer on the first attempt1 It took a week of research and struggle to get anything printed directly from the Android tablet!

I purchased my Surface RT brand new from amazon a week ago for $215 and it was the best money I ever spent. Goodness, and I gushing?

Well, hells bells I guess I am!

I am glad for this forum and hope to learn a great deal about this amazing product.

(Now all I have to figure out is what to do with the Android tablet I have... Door stop? Paperweight? I guess I could put image on rotation and could be a virtual slide show...)

Anyway, my name is Butch, (a nickname since I was a 4 year old) . I, and my spouse David live in upstate NY near the Albany capital district. I am 61 years old and retired. I am an animal lover (currently have 2 dogs, a beagle and a Yellow Labrador and 3 cats, all rescues). Beyond computers and pets my hobbies are real estate, and anything to do with video and video production (and TV in general). I was always the kid who took EVERYTHING apart (and usually got most thing back together - eventually).

Anyway thanks for the great forum. I'm sure it will be a real asset!

Butch

malberttoo

November 6, 2014

Hello all!

I have been a MS Windows person my whole life (including teaching computer programming on a college level). For the last 2.5 years I have had a Windows 8.1 Notebook, an Android tablet and Samsung S3 Android phone which have all worked reasonable well.... until...

I bought a Surface RT two weeks ago and realized I had been dealing with a brain dead tablet for all that time. THE SURFACE IS A FULL COMPUTER WITH ALL THE THING A FULL COMPUTER DOES. The android device was merely a media player with internet access; not a full computer at all. Even the much ballyhooed iPad is just a brain dead facsimile of a Mac!

From the second I took the Surface out of the box and put in my account info I was impressed! Actually I was blown away! I had wanted a tablet that would and could replace my windows 8.1 notebook and the Surface is it! It seem plenty fast, has all the software I use and need AND I was able to print to my LAN based printer on the first attempt1 It took a week of research and struggle to get anything printed directly from the Android tablet!

I purchased my Surface RT brand new from amazon a week ago for $215 and it was the best money I ever spent. Goodness, and I gushing?

Well, hells bells I guess I am!

I am glad for this forum and hope to learn a great deal about this amazing product.

(Now all I have to figure out is what to do with the Android tablet I have... Door stop? Paperweight? I guess I could put image on rotation and could be a virtual slide show...)

Anyway, my name is Butch, (a nickname since I was a 4 year old) . I, and my spouse David live in upstate NY near the Albany capital district. I am 61 years old and retired. I am an animal lover (currently have 2 dogs, a beagle and a Yellow Labrador and 3 cats, all rescues). Beyond computers and pets my hobbies are real estate, and anything to do with video and video production (and TV in general). I was always the kid who took EVERYTHING apart (and usually got most thing back together - eventually).

Anyway thanks for the great forum. I'm sure it will be a real asset!

Butch

Welcome aboard Butch!

As you spend more and more time on the forum, soon you my find yourself upgrading yet again, to the Surface Pro 3. In which case I will be prepared for another enthusiastic post like the one you've just made... :D

Welcome from me too! Only signed up a couple of days ago myself after buying an SP3 for productivity purposes, so glad to know I'm not the only newbie around here.

kundas1

welcome butch, glad you like the RT, I liked the RT so much I kept it even though I bought the SP3, this is the tablet that can still ALMOST do it all, I don't know why people didn't like it, guess they just didn't understand it.. I suggest you watch a video on Youtube from sean ong watch all of them and prepared to have your mind blown!

OP
AlPeaston

AlPeaston

welcome butch, glad you like the RT, I liked the RT so much I kept it even though I bought the SP3, this is the tablet that can still ALMOST do it all, I don't know why people didn't like it, guess they just didn't understand it.. I suggest you watch a video on Youtube from sean ong watch all of them and prepared to have your mind blown!

As a former (3 + years) Android user (sorry Apple people, just found apple greedy and unjustifiably expensive to annoying to pay it much mind) I love my MS Surface RT. Have had it over a month and have yet to re-open my relatively new win 8.1 notebook! Everything I need in a desktop, notebook AND tablet computer is right in front of me in my Surface! In fact I want to go to work at MS just to sell their Surface tablets. After years of frustration and disappointments with Android I final have a real, complete computer tablet in my hand. I read about issues and complaints but I find NONE! I gave my Nexus 7 (first gen android) away for free. The person was thrilled _ bless their heart! I would like a tiny bit more basic power but even that is a very minor complaint! I feel after years of iPads, Androids, and ever combo in between; I finally got a tablet computer I can love! Thank you Microsoft!