What's new

Just bought SP3 yesterday -query

eknirb

Got the i5 256....navy blue type cover...Office..carry bag..and Docking Station. Set it up at the store, all fine.
Did all the updates---50 of them---today at home.

Query---how much should the fan run? I have never owned a tablet or laptop, and don't know what is acceptable for such a device. TY!

mahdi75

During the first hours of usage, you'll hear fan more, because Windows is doing maintenance and indexing stuff for the first time.
After it, you shouldn't hear the fan in light tasks (web browsing, etc.). But when you start doing intensive tasks on it, fan will run quickly, and you'll hear it.
Please note that by Web browsing, I mean web browsing using Modern IE. (Chrome is a resource hungry process, and causes the fan to run faster.)

OP
eknirb

eknirb

I thank you for your kind response. Will check in if I notice anything else. Oh, one more thing- can I just leave it plugged in all the time? And only disconnect if/when I desire mobility? Guy at the store said I could.

kundas1

yes you can leave it plugged in, but I suggest you "condition" that battery for the first 2 or 3 cycles, meaning charge it full the first time and let it die almost completely and then charge it full again no interruptions and let it die almost completely and then charge it full again... then afterwards once your battery is conditioned you wont have to worry about it... then once in a few months let it die almost completely and charge it full for optimization of your battery. but don't be over obsessed with your battery, I find some folks tend to be a little obsessed with battery...

mahdi75

I thank you for your kind response. Will check in if I notice anything else. Oh, one more thing- can I just leave it plugged in all the time? And only disconnect if/when I desire mobility? Guy at the store said I could.

Don't know what will happen in long term, but this is exactly what I'm doing. My Surface is plugged when I'm using it as my desktop PC, and is unplugged when I'm using it as a tablet, or I'm going to college.
Just keep in mind, Microsoft suggests you do allow the battery to drain at least once a month.

Liam2349

With battery maintenance, for the first charge, you should charge to 100%, leave it at 100% for half an hour or so and then drain the device completely. This calibrates your battery, and your Surface will then know your maximum battery capacity and will give you accurate battery percentage indicators.

As for long-term maintenance, it's not good to always leave it plugged in and charging at 100%. If you leave it at 100% all the time, your maximum capacity will drop off faster than if you only charged it to 80% or so - meaning your battery will hold charge for longer. It would last even longer if you only charged to 50%.

50% isn't quite practical however, and most days I will come home with about 10-20% charge remaining after using the device for 7 or 8 hours. Therefore I charge to 100%.

So charging to lower percentages is better for long-term battery life, but it's not a massive deal.

malberttoo

Use the machine as you like, and have fun with it. Once a month, let it discharge to at least 10%, and you will be fine!