What's new

Just bought my SP4! What are your favourite apps?

jztimmons

Hey guys. Looking for casual discussion on your favorite Metro/Modern apps (touch friendly)? What are your must haves? I see engadget and cnet articles, etc, but they're not really very useful. Trust you all more.

Eplak

I dont really use apps that much. But if you watch some Twitch.tv streams, the Unstream app is a must. The regular website is really heavy on the CPU, and the Unstream app is just a joy to use. Further, i use the Netflix app, although it has some errors.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I dont see the purpose for apps on a windows machine. Apps are designed to be minimalist and touch orientated, as such i've yet to find one which is actually efficient to use.

That is aside from the fact that I have never really seen anything on the windows store that would be worth downloading. Other than drawboard pdf, the only one I have installed is Lemmings, because why ever not! :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys. Looking for casual discussion on your favorite Metro/Modern apps (touch friendly)? What are your must haves? I see engadget and cnet articles, etc, but they're not really very useful. Trust you all more.
Drawboard PDF, OneNote Mobile, all of the MSN Apps, Tweetium

Eplak

Why do you choose the Onenote Mobile app instead of the desktop program? Interesting to know that, since i feel the desktop program is more 'complete' in a sense.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why do you choose the Onenote Mobile app instead of the desktop program? Interesting to know that, since i feel the desktop program is more 'complete' in a sense.

It sure isn't as functional as the desktop version, but from what i've read, is superior in terms of battery life, like most MUI apps.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Exactly what Hugh said, The Universal Windows App Platform (formally MUI and/or WinRT) are designed from the ground up for mobile. I use the desktop app for integration with Outlook and Skype for Business or when I'm plugged in at my desk. But if I'm on battery its the Mobile Version - and the WinRT ink engine is better (in fairness the Insider Builds of Office 2016 have greatly improved the inking engine).

ScottyS

MUI OneNote also has insert photo from the camera and you can choose to take the photo as a picture, document or whiteboard.

OP
jztimmons

jztimmons

I dont see the purpose for apps on a windows machine. Apps are designed to be minimalist and touch orientated, as such i've yet to find one which is actually efficient to use... :)

Coming from the Apple world, I am finding some of my frequently used apps more efficient than the websites. YouTube is an example. just something I will have to adjust to, right!

When I got my surface, the first thing I installed was Firefox, then using that, I went to www.ninite.com and installed all the software I use. Just save the installation file to the desktop, then when you run it, it clicks 'NO' to adding anything other than the program. To update the installed programs, either let the program notify you or you can just run the ninite install every other week.

Matt

The Plex app works pretty well. That and Spartan Assault are about all I have added over drawboard PDF (which is very cool!).
I am not sure about the One Note 2016 vs MUI version. I think the current universal app is very good but I way prefer the desktop version. Also in the past I have had issues creating new notebooks in the app when offline. I have set the Pen to launch the desktop one note on single click and the snipping tool to launch on double click - works well so far but it is early days