What's new

itunes to micro sd

Paul_66

Hi everyone. Ive had this surface 3 since christmas and i still cannot get itunes onto the micro sd ! its driving me mad !

So this is what i done . I have a mac with my itunes on. I used Paragon ntfs to transfer to an external hard drive to make the files readable by widows.Now ,i bought a 128gb micro sd for the surface as i have a lot of music.

I then plugged the hard drive into my surface and opened and played a couple of tracks to make sure they were ok via the Xbox music player. I then transfered all the itunes media file to the sd card. There is 68gb of music.

Problem - when i try to open the files in itunes on the sd it says file is empty. I have tried about ten times , sometimes i get all empty files , sometimes some.

I have tried deleting all itunes from surface and reloading it but it still happens.

please , if anyone can help i will be so gratefull.

Thankyou

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's a sharp itunes guru around here but it isn't me.

If you start small though, with just one song does it work? how about if its on the internal drive?

daniielrp

Hi everyone. Ive had this surface 3 since christmas and i still cannot get itunes onto the micro sd ! its driving me mad !

So this is what i done . I have a mac with my itunes on. I used Paragon ntfs to transfer to an external hard drive to make the files readable by widows.Now ,i bought a 128gb micro sd for the surface as i have a lot of music.

I then plugged the hard drive into my surface and opened and played a couple of tracks to make sure they were ok via the Xbox music player. I then transfered all the itunes media file to the sd card. There is 68gb of music.

Problem - when i try to open the files in itunes on the sd it says file is empty. I have tried about ten times , sometimes i get all empty files , sometimes some.

I have tried deleting all itunes from surface and reloading it but it still happens.

please , if anyone can help i will be so gratefull.

Thankyou

You shouldn't have had to do any of that really. iTunes, IF you haven't adjusted any options on the Mac does a fantastic job of organisation. In your user folder on the Mac is a folder called Music, in there will be a folder called iTunes. This will have your music, films, apps, games etc. It also has the most important file of all - your iTunes Library File.

So, step by step:
- Have your SD card formatted as exfat, this is read/writeable by both Mac/PC.
- Plug your SD in to the Mac, and copy the entire iTunes folder to it.
- Plug card back in to surface.
- Hold down shift whilst you double click the iTunes icon to open it.
- iTunes will pop up and ask you to choose a library, press browse.
- Point it at the iTunes Library file that is inside the iTunes folder you copied.
- Done.

iTunes should open, and because it is using the same library should have every track, playlist, favourites, playcounts etc. as on the mac.

OP
P

Paul_66

You shouldn't have had to do any of that really. iTunes, IF you haven't adjusted any options on the Mac does a fantastic job of organisation. In your user folder on the Mac is a folder called Music, in there will be a folder called iTunes. This will have your music, films, apps, games etc. It also has the most important file of all - your iTunes Library File.

So, step by step:
- Point it at the iTunes Library file that is inside the iTunes folder you copied.
- Done.

iTunes should open, and because it is using the same library should have every track, playlist, favourites, playcounts etc. as on the mac.

So, step by step:
- Done.

Thankyou. That sounds remarkably easy !!
I will most certainly try it . If it works i will buy you a beer

bluegrass

Of course transferring data to any cloud will be dependent on many factors, including your modem/router and the Internet upload speed your service provider provides.

BillJ

I usually play my music that is in iTunes with xbox music on my SP3; granted, most of my iTunes library is not digital rights encoded, since I uploaded the music from CD's I owned. My wife has her iTunes music folder in OneDrive, however, and this seems to work fine. Last download from OneDrive I did managed 1 gb of data every 5-6 minutes, but YMMV depending on bandwidth, time of day, phase of the moon, etc...

mohcho

I've had my iTunes library on my sdcard since I got it. Managing the iTunes library is fairly simple if you go through the steps once.

OP
P

Paul_66

Ok thanks. I haven't tried it yet but should I put all of iTunes programme on there or just the media files ?

Thanks