What's new

Issue with USB mouse attached via USB port on docking station or via Hub

mmo

I am using a Logitech mouse (wireless but not using Bluetooth but some proprietary technology and a USB-2 dongle) and I am observing very annoying frequent (i.e. every few seconds) and sometimes longish phases (up to several seconds!), where the mouse is not following the hand movement.

This seems to have to do with the down-stream USB ports not being properly polled! I noted, that these drop-outs are worst, when I attach the dongle to an external USB-2 hub attached to the SP3 docking station. It is a bit better, when attaching the dongle directly to one of the USB-2 ports of the docking station (but still annoying enough to not really be usable) and only when I attach the dongle to one of the USB-3 ports (on the docking station or the USB-3 port on the SP3 itself), then the mouse behavior is acceptable.

Can it really be, that the SP3 USB driver is not able to poll a USB chain fast enough to allow a mouse being attached via an external USB hub (i.e. SP3 -> USB-2 port in docking station -> external USB-2 hub -> Mouse dongle)?

With my former laptop that was absolutely no issue and I had all my devices at home (mouse, printer, scanner, etc.) all attached to said external hub, so that I only needed to insert a single USB connection to be all hooked up.

M.

bluegrass

First off, welcome to the forum. Haven't noticed anyone from Switzerland here. From what I've seen on TV & in the movies, you live in a beautiful country. What kind of Internet download connection speed can you get where you live? I'm sure you'll get a lot of questions answered here.

It shouldn't be an issue at all with the SP3. I have been using a USB wireless mouse since I got my SP3. I have also been using the mouse on my MS docking station since I got it. I don't really bother to notice whether I'm plugging it into a USB 2 or a USB 3 port on the docking station. It shouldn't matter for a mouse. I have never noticed any pauses. It sounds like your CPU maybe really busy when this happens to you. I use a Logitech mk320 mouse/keyboard combination.

If I was a tech troubleshooting your problem, I would try a different USB wireless mouse (maybe a friends) to see if you get the same results. I'm sure others here can offer you some more things to try like making sure you are updated on your drivers, etc.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
For reference, i use a logitech mx anywhere, dongle plugged into a cheap unpowered hub, and i never have an issue.

Bandito

I'm just guessing here, but is sounds like you may have a power problem with your wireless adapter and the SP3 is notorious for having low power available at the USB port.

By plugging it directly into the SP3, you should be getting maximum power from the port. If the docking station port or the USB hub you are using are unpowered, then the adapter may not be getting enough current to operate at its maximum radio power.

Do you have a powered USB hub that you could try?

OP
M

mmo

... It sounds like your CPU maybe really busy when this happens to you. ...
Thanks for the warm welcome!

The pauses seem indeed related to the CPU being busy. I noted that especially while I had been transferring data from one system to another in my local network. Somewhat unbelievable, that Win 8.1 has apparently so lousy real-time characteristics, that a file transfer impacts its capacity to react to mouse events, isn't it? Even more unbelievable that the position of the mouse in the "USB-tree" should have such a noticeable influence on this. But I verified that several times!

...Do you have a powered USB hub that you could try?
My external hub IS powered. The power supply could deliver 3 amps. of which it is probably using at most a few 100 mA, so the SP3's power shouldn't be impacted at all. I also really can't imagine, that the few milliamps that a mouse dongle might draw could be an issue on any USB port, no matter how little it can deliver...

bluegrass

I just tested all my USB ports on both the SP3 and my MS docking station with a USB tester. All of them read from 4.98V to 5.00V. I think you're correct, the USB dongle for the mouse should take very little current. You should also be able to do all the file transfers you want and still do other things. It doesn't slow down my mouse at all when I have the Surface busy doing file transfers and such. You should take it in and demonstrate your problem to a tech at the MS store. I think you mentioned using a hub on the docking station. I'm not sure with all the ports available what you would need a hub for.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I suspect RF interference. Borrow a Bluetooth mouse from someone and see if it gets better. Your mouse (is it the Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse?) uses a radio transmitter and receiver relayed to Bluetooth as a dongle. Cordless phones and microwaves (transmission paths crossing your installation from nearby towers?) are the likely culprits.

Jon Agg

Hi, I am having a similar issue, I just purchased the hub, and thought I would try my mouse wireless usb thingy... in the hub.... it doesn't work? I also cannot find it on my laptob when I attach my phone thought the USB, there is nothing to recognize, no driver to install, help?

bluegrass

Amazing, I never heard whether or how mmo solved his mouse problem and two years later a new member. Jon Agg posts a reply saying he is having the same problem. Welcome to the forum Jon. Don't what to tell you, accept see if you can borrow another wireless mouse and try it. That divides the troubleshooting process in half. Is the problem with the mouse or the Surface? Than go from there. Many times I have a USB device that won't work on one USB port on a laptop, but works on a different port on the laptop, with the port that failed working ok with other devices. USB ports are crazy sometimes in their compatibility with USB devices.

Metalman

Jon Agg: Are you using Windows 8 or 10?

I had the same problems in Windows 8 at times. I had to reboot my Surface or unplug the dock power them plug it back in to get the USB outlets to work (this is with the new dock for Surface Pro 3 and 4).

Now when using Windows 10 I have no problem at all. USB works at every startup.

The only thing I can think of is it maybe a driver problem in Windows 8.

ScottyS

RF interference between USB receiver and a hub can definitely be an issue. I used to use a MS USB mouse. Plugged directly into the hub it's be jerky and sometimes unresponsive but plugged into a USB male-to-female extension cord and moved about a foot away from the hub it worked fine.

BubbaUK

Jon Agg: Are you using Windows 8 or 10?

I had the same problems in Windows 8 at times. I had to reboot my Surface or unplug the dock power them plug it back in to get the USB outlets to work (this is with the new dock for Surface Pro 3 and 4).

Now when using Windows 10 I have no problem at all. USB works at every startup.

The only thing I can think of is it maybe a driver problem in Windows 8.

What he said. I had no end of trouble with USB on Windows 8.1, now it's pretty much rock solid in Windows 10, on my SPro 3.