What's new

Is windows 10 and surface pro dependable

antr1700

I am looking for a laptop, mostly Surface pro 2017 or MacBook pro 2017, for my cyber security degree. I am wondering how dependable is windows 10? Plus how is the surface pro? Does anyone have the older varients and are they still holding up? Thank you for any input.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome.

I can't comment on the new surface, but I've an sp4 and my partner an sp3, and both are still more than powerful enough.

As to Windows 10, I've had my Surface (my only computer) on the fast track windows insider program for the entire of university without issue, so personally I would say it is very much a stable OS

victordr

I recently bought the 2017 i7/16/512

So far, generally it has been quite dependable, and in many ways, initially it was very impressive for my work and lifestyle, in ways like power to weight/size with portability. Funny first impression though, the machine itself feels more advanced and capable than the os - which seemed to take a little while to settle, though is becoming smoother with age.

The os sometimes does seem a little clunky to me. Edge does too, but I appreciate the speed benefit, so have learned to over-look or work around minor imperfections. Little things like, use of dynamic screen saver will prevent the device from sleeping and therefore flatten the battery, and arc mouse locking up, all little things easy worked around, a little tune-up here or there, learning to use; sleep, hibernate or restart at appropriate moments, understanding what the differences are.

An ongoing and as yet unresolved matter or mp3 playback turning to stuttering, seemingly filling RAM and not clearing - which requires device reboot from time to time, especially after editing video files. Microsoft no longer answering my complaint about this. I'm sure they're working on a solution though.

Yes, I was initially disappointed about that, doesn't matter now, learned to work around. More relevant to now though, since owning "Roxy" for more than a month, I have to say, so far, my first SP has been a really great air-travel-work buddy. For learning, creating and communicating easily, on the fly, so far it's turned out to be the right decision for me.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've used every generation of Surface and the have a very good overall build quality and outstanding support. We have over 130 devices deployed here at work - 1/3 of them are Surface Pro 3's and all are still working well.

I'm currently using the SP 2017 i5/8/256 which replaced my SB i7/16/512 and I'm loving it.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a Mac guy and PC guy. I like apples and oranges, pizza and burgers. It is OK to like the features of each.

For Surface: I've owned Surface 2 Pro, 3 Pro, and currently use a Surface Book 512 and Surface Bok 1TB. Excellent quality.

Windows 10 is very good. Some people are wary to give it a go. I have helped many people to configure W10 to look and feel much like XP, If they desire.

convergent

I am a Mac and Windows guy. Our whole company of xx,xxx folks use Windows 10 primarily... and most companies that are staying current on things are as well. I have had a Surface Pro (2017) for about 3 weeks and use it every day for my work. Been at a conference and at client sites this week and its been great. I did have one unexpected sleep that happened, but it took about 10 seconds to hit the power button and recover. This is something that has occurred for some people and likely a firmware bug, but it was the only time its happened for me.

OP
A

antr1700

Thank y'all I love hearing experiences and since I am completing my masters in cyber security, I believe windows is Loki g like a good OS to help me with that.

Cuchulainn

This is something that has occurred for some people and likely a firmware bug, but it was the only time its happened for me.

A had that happen 2-3 times and I talked to the folks at my local store about it. They had me bring it in and they forced some kind of update on the power scheme or something. I am not really sure exactly what it was, my apologies. But it hasn’t occurred since, which is the good news :)

Just did a long weekend motorcycle trip with the Surface Pro packed in one of my panniers for downloading photos and action cam video at the end of each day. It worked brilliantly for the task :)