What's new

Is it worth buying the new SP4 type cover to use on my SP3?

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just checked with Microsoft. They'll give you one for free, but it has to be the color you registered your Pro 3 Type Cover. So now I got a cyan one for free, but I need a black one :/
That's a bit crap I have a purple SP3 type cover and that's not an option in the SP4 typecover colours!

ChiGGz

I don't have one yet but they even said in the Microsoft Launch event that it is backwards compatible with the SP3 so that is just rubbish.

I pre-ordered a sP4 typecover for my SP3 (hope to get it sometime late next week) and then had a chat with someone on the Microsoft store chat to ask about pen loops (as I will need one!) they didn't say anything about it being non-compatible so I think you just got the wrong person. I don't think all of the sales support people are actually that knowledgeable. I was chatting to a guy about the new lumia phones and he was having to look up info on the basic questions I asked, it was helpful in the end as he did get the right info but he didn't know it like I thought someone should really.

I've tested this myself at the MS store. SP4 type cover compatible with SP3.

ChrisPanzer

I am typing on it now. It's absoltely a million times better than the old one. The INSERT key is there, the keys arent jarbled up together, it's much easier to type on and the tac feedback feels great... not to mention the other SIGNIFICANT improvement is the glorious touchpad.. It's so nice and smooth.

Big ups to MS for the backward-compatibility. Awesome!!

kristalsoldier

I am typing on it now. It's absoltely a million times better than the old one. The INSERT key is there, the keys arent jarbled up together, it's much easier to type on and the tac feedback feels great... not to mention the other SIGNIFICANT improvement is the glorious touchpad.. It's so nice and smooth.

Big ups to MS for the backward-compatibility. Awesome!!

"jarbled"...nice word!!!!!!!

vsherry

I just checked with Microsoft. They'll give you one for free, but it has to be the color you registered your Pro 3 Type Cover. So now I got a cyan one for free, but I need a black one :/

So, wait, if I call Microsoft, they will give me a free Pro 4 type cover? :eek:

Rob Durfee

I agree with everyone here. The new keyboard is great if you can swing the cost. The track pad is much improved, bigger and smoother. The keys feel more like a laptop and the whole thing feels studier while typing - even though it's slightly thinner.

I bought the model with the fingerprint reader and it works very well. You need the firmware update before it shows up in the Windows Hello sign in options.