What's new

Is it Powerful enough to do this.........?

OP
C

CheyenneDonna

Hi All! You know, I looked at all the different selections and kept going back to the Surface Pro over and over. I bought it today, and yes my student discount was applied on the order (just got confirmation). The Ativ Q will be pricey; and, I really like Google products with pure Android (I have a Nexus 7 and a Galaxy Nexus phone). I also like the power of the Sony Vaio duo, but again too pricey - and Sony does proprietary drivers and very bad support. I hope I like it!

ultra99

Hi All! You know, I looked at all the different selections and kept going back to the Surface Pro over and over. I bought it today, and yes my student discount was applied on the order (just got confirmation). The Ativ Q will be pricey; and, I really like Google products with pure Android (I have a Nexus 7 and a Galaxy Nexus phone). I also like the power of the Sony Vaio duo, but again too pricey - and Sony does proprietary drivers and very bad support. I hope I like it!

Isn't Surface Pro 2 on the corners? :p

J/K great buy!

OP
C

CheyenneDonna

Maybe; but, judging by the $1299 price on the 256GB it wont be cheap and there were always be a newer, better something around the corner. I start grad school in 3 weeks and I'm so tired of waiting for my old Sony to unfreeze. I need power to do my homework, plus I'm so used to fast - my Chromebook and Androids don't freeze up often. I just hope bluescreens are rare (one of the reasons I abandoned Windows for Chrome OS)

Last edited:

Lolvo

Glad you made your decision! Hope you like it! Let us know if you have any questions about your device.

OP
C

CheyenneDonna

Pro in Hand - first impressions

It's in my hand!

It's heavier than I expected.
The screen is beautiful.
I dislike the kickstand; two case choices - Amazon.com : MoKo Genuine Leather Slim-fit Type / Touch Keyboard Cover Companion Sleeve Case for Microsoft Surface Pro 10.6" Inch Windows 8 Tablet, BLACK : Computers & Accessories or Amazon.com : Manvex Slim and Compact Leather Folio Case Cover for the Microsoft Surface PRO Tablet with Windows 8 | Built-in Stand with Multiple Viewing Angles with Stylus Holder - Also compatible with the Type Cover and Touch Cover from Microsoft (K
I can't stand fake (PU) leather and I'm not sure about covering the bezel.
I totally understand everyone's complaint with Windows 8 (anyone I know that uses it hates it) it is not intuitive.
It's fast and I'm setting it up now. Then a trip to the mall for a Ghost Armor screen protector, I live in the SW and it's very sandy (Gorilla Glass's enemy is sand)

Buelligan

Not sure about the Windows 8 complaints. I too had a small "shock" factor at first. But after a week or so, I find Windows 8 is built for this thing! Being very touch oriented, I find getting around the new OS on the Surface Pro to be a delight. Learn all the gestures, swiping in from the bezels, and you may find it to be a joy. I can seem to fly through all my tasks so much easier now. With just a swipe here and there everything seems more intuitive and so natural. I agree it seems non-intuitive because it is far removed from what we are used to. But if you had to start from scratch with no preconceived ideas then things would seem to be just right. Of course that is just my opinion, I'm sure others may feel different.

OP
C

CheyenneDonna

If I wasn't tech savvy I would be confused; and, most of the people I know are not tech savvy. I think that's where the difference lies; plus many are trying to use Windows 8 on a regular PC without touch. I love touch; but, I'm most familiar with Android. I got it after a few minutes; but I still don't think it's user friendly.

I recently also bought an Acer V5 and like it's larger screen and typing capability. I don't like the fact that the stylus doesn't work on it. It is nice to have both imho. Some times a large screen is just great. Sometimes portability wins out. I've had the SP since late June and still like it. I do find he smaller format annoying at times. I hope you like your pro and that it grows on you.

machistmo

If I wasn't tech savvy I would be confused; and, most of the people I know are not tech savvy. I think that's where the difference lies; plus many are trying to use Windows 8 on a regular PC without touch. I love touch; but, I'm most familiar with Android. I got it after a few minutes; but I still don't think it's user friendly.

Windows 8.1 is a step towards user friendly, a baby step, but a step none the less. I just don't understand MS sometimes. I suppose when you have entire departments entrenched against one another this is the result?