What's new

Is it possible to turn off the type cover while attached?

Mastiff

I have bought a MS Designer Bluetooth Desk since the type cover is so noisy when typing that my family wanted to ban me from using the Surface in the living room... Ideally I would like to use it on top of the type cover with the thing in my lap. But that would probably risk taping a key here and there, and if I'm doing something where I may for instance press escape after a bit of thinking and Python programming the programming windows will close and I'll loose whatever's not saved. Is it possible to turn off the keyboard on the type cover while leaving it attahced in any way? Turning off bluetooth is of course not it, since I need that for the designer desk.

kundas1

I'm sorry but how is the typecover bothering ur family? it is one of the quietest KB out there! unless your family has bionic hearing I can't fathom the typecover being that loud... like EVER! I type all the time on my typecover right with my GF right next to me and no one more than her hates annoying noises and she has never complained about the typecover... with that said all you have to do is fold the KB back under and that will disable the typecover and let you use the other KB... you wont lose anything ;)

OP
Mastiff

Mastiff

I take it you don't have the new type cover for the Pro 4. If you had you'd now that typing fast with that thing in your lap makes a sound not unlike tapping your fingers on a large Tupperware box. :mad: But I really wanted to use the type cover as a writing desk in my lap. Maybe the easiest way is to put a piece of plastic between the contact points.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Family, can't live with them, cant live without them. :) maybe a lighter touch on the keys???
I'm a bit confused by your "writing desk" and the "plastic between the contact points" comments.
However, if you put the keyboard on backwards I think you would have your "writing desk" and keyboard disabled.

OP
Mastiff

Mastiff

Well, I can live without the family from next summer, when my daughter moves out. Of course I'll keep my wife, but that shouldn't count as a family! I mean to have the type cover in the standard position and rest the Designer Desktop keyboard on that. And I mean plastic between the contact points to the type cover, since as far as I know that doesn't have a separate power supply, so with plastic in between it shouldn't work, right?

OP
Mastiff

Mastiff

But the point is that I want to use it as a typing desk (table, whatever) for the keyboard I'm actually using. If I turn it backwards it's kind of hard to put the other keyboard on top of it!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
But the point is that I want to use it as a typing desk (table, whatever) for the keyboard I'm actually using. If I turn it backwards it's kind of hard to put the other keyboard on top of it!
How so? I think you should try it... maybe upside down is a better word or maybe not. with the keyboard on backwards or upside down you have the keys down and the back of the cover up... seems like a better table and could actually be used as a writing surface better than keys.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
No I mean take it off and put it on backward but still out like before, keys facing down. Does it turn off then?

OP
Mastiff

Mastiff

Especially when you're trying to explain something to somebody who has a brain already in weekend mode! :D