What's new

Is InstantGo a joke or is it just me?

OP
B

Brad_86

You can set the machine not to enter S0iX when on mains

So it's possible to stop entering this S0iX state while on mains or was that meant to be "can't"?
When you say it's preventing the machine from entering CS, would that just be a certain phase of CS? Because it certainly appears to be in some kind of standby, i.e. dock's USB disconnects, network drops, fan stops etc.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yes... set under Power Profile Sleep=Never on Power

You Sleep Study shows the USB 3.0 Bus as active the entire time while it is in S0iX, I guess it could be the Ethernet on the Dock.

OP
B

Brad_86

Thanks - that could help a lot!
I've changed the "Put the computer to sleep" setting to Never when plugged in and that appears to stop it sleeping when locking the screen. However, that also appears to affect the "Turn off display after" setting too, meaning my monitors are probably going to stay on forever... I'll continue to test.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks - that could help a lot!
I've changed the "Put the computer to sleep" setting to Never when plugged in and that appears to stop it sleeping when locking the screen. However, that also appears to affect the "Turn off display after" setting too, meaning my monitors are probably going to stay on forever... I'll continue to test.
That is also a side effect, as Screen Off=Connected Standby..... or the best compromise is to set it to 30 to 60 minutes then allow Connected Standby...

ptrkhh

I've attached a sleep study, is it possible to give me a rough idea of what's happening and what the devices are?
Theres an excessive usage of USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller (\_SB.PCI0.XHC) . First, make sure there is no USB cables or peripherals attached to the device. Then make sure that all components are allowed to go sleep (especially WiFi and BT antenna). Check the Device Manager, double-tap on an item, go to the "Power Management" tab, and check "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Then --this is important-- restart.

I once had this issue even though all of those are checked already. I ended up with a factory reset.

OP
B

Brad_86

The Power Management tab appears to be missing on all devices when Connected Standby is turned off in the registry. If I disable it I get the option, so confirmed this way that everything can turn off then flicked CS back on.

It could be the dock that I have connected, it's the only USB device. The fact that it may be causing CS to fail doesn't really bother me because if it's docked it's on mains, so power usage isn't an issue. And it obviously wouldn't be connected when mobile.

I think I've gotten everything I need from this thread, thanks to everyone form their help and knowledge. Seems I'll just have to put up with the behaviour and perhaps tailor users' power plans to suit their application usage.

Cheers
Brad

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Power Management tab appears to be missing on all devices when Connected Standby is turned off in the registry. If I disable it I get the option, so confirmed this way that everything can turn off then flicked CS back on.

It could be the dock that I have connected, it's the only USB device. The fact that it may be causing CS to fail doesn't really bother me because if it's docked it's on mains, so power usage isn't an issue. And it obviously wouldn't be connected when mobile.

I think I've gotten everything I need from this thread, thanks to everyone form their help and knowledge. Seems I'll just have to put up with the behaviour and perhaps tailor users' power plans to suit their application usage.

Cheers
Brad
Could you let us know the make and model of your USB Dock please.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

Cheers
Brad
I would assume that the USB Dock is using a DisplayLink USB to (VGA/DVI/HDMI), if that is the case the DisplayLink's driver has been known to cause issues getting the latest driver from their site helps....