What's new

IPAD "Pro" is it a Joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knuck

I am not sure what the "Pro" means but it certainly doesn't mean for professionals. Unless I am mistaken, this new iPad is supposed to be a tool for creative professionals. I am a professional photographer/videographer and it is grossly inadequate. Not only can you not edit Raw files, at least I can't figure it out, but downloads using the new lightning to SD camera card is painfully slow and the features of the available apps are lacking in both features and power. Perhaps it would be a great tool for illustrators, although it is difficult to gage as the pencil at this point is hard to come buy, 4-5 week wait in my area. For everyone else it is just a larger iPad and nothing more. Microsoft has nothing to fear from this expensive toy.

raqball

It should have been called the iPad Plus because that's really all it is...

I can't see Apple selling many of them and part of the ones they do sell will probably be returned in short order..

There is an assumption that "Pro" means "What I consider professional". I also think there is an assumption that this will replace or compete with the Surface Pro, simply because the term "Pro" is the same (Apple used the term Pro long before Microsoft with the Macbook Pro, Mac Pro etc), when in reality I would say they are completely different markets and the comparisons by tech journalists are probably guilty because most of them are "tech" journalists who have no real knowledge of how tablets are used in business. So you were right in that Microsoft probably don't have much to worry about. There is probably a small market of people who may buy the iPad Pro instead of the Surface, but it's tiny. I would however say that Wacom probably have some reasons to be concerned, largely because I don't think they have managed to progress the stylus technology and the latency of the iPad Pro pencil is much better than the Wacom's I have used.

I would say the Pro part of this is relative to creative professionals who draw, but could be applicable to professionals if you don't consider it from a Surface Pro perspective, but rather to complement a desktop/laptop from a Wacom Cintiq perspective (which costs the same). If you consider a Wacom Cintiq as a professional tool (most people would), then this is no less professional, because it can be used in the same way for drawing and photography with your desktop tools, with the added advantage of using it as a stand alone for drawing as well. You may feel that it can't use it for photography as a stand alone tool, and this is true but if you use in in conjunction with a desktop, you can eliminate the requirement for a Wacom Cintiq which is what a lot of professional photographers use, with the added advantage of being able to carry your portfolio on it to show customers, which to do with the Wacom would require the Android Companion which is more expensive than the iPad Pro, is the size of a 15" laptop and weighs about double with the same functionality. Personally, I have been able to replace my Wacom and I am not the only one.

This is what I mean

Afy

IBM will sell them with the Enterprise Apps they made to businesses.

Such as?

The use case for replacing a Cintiq is a very specific case. They could just as well have added pen support across their range be done with it.
Then again I have never understood the point of single purpose tablets from Android or Apple in any case.

For me the Surface works, since it does give me a somewhat functional laptop while allowing me to replace all my notebooks (paper) for taking notes during meetings, brainstorming et al. Especially during design meetings.
For heavier work I still have the Dell. For when I want to run multiple VM's or test heavy ETL jobs etc.

Other than work, I primarily use the Surface for Netflix. I don't game (angry brids/pigs/donkeys or what ever), don't do instagram, facebook or twitter so the so called lack of 'apps' in the store makes zero difference to me. I certainly am no into sharing what I ate for lunch with the world. So yes my Use Case is very limited too.

Though that still doesn't explain the Pro in the iPad Pro to me.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Such as?

The use case for replacing a Cintiq is a very specific case. They could just as well have added pen support across their range be done with it.
Then again I have never understood the point of single purpose tablets from Android or Apple in any case.

For me the Surface works, since it does give me a somewhat functional laptop while allowing me to replace all my notebooks (paper) for taking notes during meetings, brainstorming et al. Especially during design meetings.
For heavier work I still have the Dell. For when I want to run multiple VM's or test heavy ETL jobs etc.

Other than work, I primarily use the Surface for Netflix. I don't game (angry brids/pigs/donkeys or what ever), don't do instagram, facebook or twitter so the so called lack of 'apps' in the store makes zero difference to me. I certainly am no into sharing what I ate for lunch with the world. So yes my Use Case is very limited too.

Though that still doesn't explain the Pro in the iPad Pro to me.
Contact your favorite IBM salesperson for more details ;)
IBM MobileFirst for iOS – Enterprise Apps for Industries–United States

Afy

Lol and HTML 5 dashboard for analytics? That could run on any platform done properly.
Document capture for Insurance?
And FFE for Utilities?

If that makes an iPad 'Pro' then so is my Samsung A5 or Lumia 930 a Pro.
Those are gimmicky applications at best.

But then we are veering off topic in off topic.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lol and HTML 5 dashboard for analytics? That could run on any platform done properly.
Document capture for Insurance?
And FFE for Utilities?

If that makes an iPad 'Pro' then so is my Samsung A5 or Lumia 930 a Pro.
Those are gimmicky applications at best.

But then we are veering off topic in off topic.
I'm not suggesting it's a technical victory, just never underestimate the power of IBM sales.
IBM: Mr. Customer, you need to buy X.
CUSTOMER: Yes sir right away, take my money.

{opening up the off universe topic area. aka black hole/worm hole topic area}
Beyond this point you have crossed the event horizon, there is no return. :)

erik braun

The iPad Pro is a joke - a bit like the iPhone and normal iPad are a joke. The will sell truckloads! I am very happy with Surface Pro 4, Btw

mva5580

It's improperly named, but it's a very nice device.

Really it just depends on what your NEEDS are for your "mobile" device. If you absolutely positively need the extra functionality that you get out of a full PC, then you should get a Surface Pro.

But if those are things that would just be nice to have and you only NEED a reliable, long lasting device that has some capabilities here and there for productivity-like work but is mainly used for web browsing, media, reading, light gaming, etc, then get an iPad.

For the record, I had a Surface Pro and took it back for an iPad Pro. Don't regret it one bit. But for me personally that's the right decision because I don't do productivity-type things on it. If I absolutely needed it for those kinds of things, I'd still have the Surface Pro. I'd still be annoyed with its quirks, but I'd have to deal with it.

And to say that they are a "joke" is just a silly, childish statement. They are nowhere close to being a "joke," they are in fact excellent devices that do relatively basic functions very, VERY well. I love PC's and will forever but a hell of a lot of people out there could get by with only owning an iPad pretty easily.

jrioux

I don't know why you folks are arguing or fretting about the meaning of the word "Pro" in the iPP.

PRO is simply an abbreviation for the additional PROfits that Apple hopes to rake in from its new oversized status symbol.

Status
Not open for further replies.