What's new

Internet speeds faster on SP2?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Router Firmware should be CGN3 Firmware Version 4.2.4.5 or later. This was released in December 2014 so it may be the latest...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OP
V

vortech

Thanks for all the replies folks! So I contacted my ISP and they said that there was a couple of things they needed to "correct" on their end. One was getting me set up on the 5g which seems to have solved my problem!

All good now...thanks everyone!

double07

Thanks for all the replies folks! So I contacted my ISP and they said that there was a couple of things they needed to "correct" on their end. One was getting me set up on the 5g which seems to have solved my problem!

All good now...thanks everyone!

Unless, your wireless router is IPS own, and they update some sort of firmware on your router. Otherwise, I don't understand how ISP has to do with it?

The only possible issue I can think of is: your SP3 has older wifi adapter driver where it used to throttle down the speed when SP3 is on battery. With power plug it, it would run wifi at max speed. You can do speed test with and without the power adapter plugin to verify it.

fonsecaj

With my last SP3 I had assumed the wlan performance was somewhat lackluster... until the wireless died completely and I got a new unit. This one has blistering wlan throughput. In the same room as one of the two APs I have in the house I get almost 900 mbit, as reported by Windows. A floor above/below and it drops down to around 300 and change. No problems streaming 1080p mkvs with Kodi anywhere in the house. The old one struggled (and often paused to re-buffer) even with the AP in the next room.

leeshor

It is possible there is some confusion with regard to terminology. I have a Comcast modem, that also happens to be a router, which I have no direct control over. But I run everything through my own router that I do have control over.

If you have a cable modem/router, you can usually do a reset yourself. Disconnect the data cable and the power cable. Wait 15-20 seconds, twist the data cable back on and power back up. Most of the tome that will work to solve problems with junk buildup on thew modem.