What's new

Interesting Start up of my New Surface Book

I just picked up my Surface Book i7/512G from BestBuy. LONG road to get to it, but happy to be leaving with the new computer.

11:24 I took a picture of the Box to shoot the series of un boxing (I know goofy)
1:34 I took a picture of the unit working......

2 hours and 10 minutes.

Turned the unit on, and it went through a few blinks of SURFACE and then I was at a log in screen? I tried my Username Password and long attempt, then standard you can not log in. Then I noticed, the icon showing no network. I flipped it up, no network.... Odd, there are at least 12 SSID around, and none are showing.

Next a series of reboots, and the tip from this forum on POWER+VolumeUP to see the BIOS settings. There is a wifi card, it is enabled. Removed the screen, no change..... fought websites and wrong numbers to end up finally getting to Microsoft Surface Support.

Ryan was great, and through his questions, we realized that the icon for networks was not a WiFi but an Ethernet Icon.... At this point I am GREAT I would get the dud after all I went through.....

WAIT, I happen to have a Surface Dock that I pre-bought and was using with my Surface Pro 3. I go wire up an Ethernet, connect the Surface Book to it, and NOTHING changed.....

Reboot..... and I am for the first time brought to a Hello Screen, asking Language and Settings. I walk through threw, and log in with my U/P and I am on the desktop.

I can now see a WiFi with the Ethernet, I can now join a SSID. I unplug the Dock, and I still can surf the net.

Power off, and try again, all is working.....

Not sure what I would have done without a surface dock to kick it off....

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

Just off the top of my head it sounds like you were in a demo mode. Have you applied all the updates yet?

OP
Kevin Cossaboon
Leeshor, not sure how I got to a demo mode or why Microsoft could not get me out? This was the FIRST turn on. Before I thought of trying the DOCK to get an Ethernet connection I was ready to return the thing.

With Respect To the Updates, doing that now. Some BIG ones, another hour of them, and now on the Firmware updates.

leeshor

Yes, quite large. Just when you think you're done there may be more. Make certain you take your time restarting then after it comes back up. Lots of "stuff" going on in the background.

Last edited:

ikjadoon

Leeshor, not sure how I got to a demo mode or why Microsoft could not get me out? This was the FIRST turn on. Before I thought of trying the DOCK to get an Ethernet connection I was ready to return the thing.

Lots of users had this. It seems like Microsoft forgot to 'reset' the devices before shipping them out out.

But, everyone else I had heard....a reboot (a shutdown isn't enough) or two made it boot up properly.