What's new

Inking directly into Outlook 2013 - Surface Pro 3 - 'Writing' Email

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Was writing an email today using Outlook 2013, and had my Surface Pro Type Cover stowed away. So I inked the whole thing.

The built-in keyboard widget handled the Subject line, but for the body of the email, inking was direct.
Check out the handy menus.

Ink tools are built in.
Screenshot (298).png

Plenty of pens, colors, highlighters, and an eraser. Ruled lines, which will not appear to the recipient.
Screenshot (299).png

Highlight as needed. Undo button and palm rejection worked perfectly.
Screenshot (300).png

Use the inking keyboard widget for the Subject line, or type with that keyboard. Note that ruled lines disappear when moving focus away from the Body of the document.
Screenshot (303).png

Screenshot (302).png

View attachment 5665

Colors can be used as highlights.
Screenshot (304).png

How it looks to the recipient. Nice and clean. And personal.
Screenshot (305).png

Last edited:

ctitanic

Nice! I have used it sometimes in the past. Now I mostly ink in the keyboard like you did to write the subject.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Here is how such an inked message looks to an iPhone recipient. Personal touch.

Screenshot (312).png

IMG_6325.PNG

IMG_6326.PNG

IMG_6327.PNG

IMG_6328.PNG

Last edited:

Tsurugaya

I just tried inking in an Outlook calendar appointment but the pen options were all grayed out. Han anyone been able to ink directly in an appointment?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I just tried inking in an Outlook calendar appointment but the pen options were all grayed out. Han anyone been able to ink directly in an appointment?
Doesn't work in Calendar, Franklin Covey used to produce a add-on called "Plan Plus" that allowed true inking throughout Outlook, unfortunately that program hasn't been updated in years.....

Tsurugaya

But the thing it's that the pen ribbon appears when touching the area with a stylus, it is just greyed out. Why make the ribbon available if you can't use it. Doesn't make sense to me, but maybe I'm just daft.

WAR

I'm still anxiously waiting for the day I'll be able to use Lenovo's inking program, WriteIT, on my SP3. On screen inking in any field that can accept text is what a tablet was designed to do!

bluegrass

I'm still anxiously waiting for the day I'll be able to use Lenovo's inking program, WriteIT, on my SP3. On screen inking in any field that can accept text is what a tablet was designed to do!

Thanks for the info. Frankly, I never knew what how a tablet is suppose to function as compared to a laptop that has a touch screen. I had just assumed tablets came along to be much easier to transport than laptops. Whatever they're suppose to do, I think the various Surface's do a great job, especially the Surface Pro 3.

bluegrass

As to replying about Colorado's use of inking in Outlook, I figured out that when you do it in Outlook it actually creates an embedded graphic file. I think it's in a png file format. When you think about, that's about the only way it could work to replace typed text in Outlook. I'm sure it's the same if you add notes with the pen in Word or any program that accepts inking.