What's new

"Impressive" Build 10049

Russ

I do not yet actually know that this build is impressive, but that is what it calls itself, and who am I to argue? My Win10 machine is a desktop that lives in my shop. It is on all the time, so is updated automatically. There were reports of two previous failed attempts to install 10049 for reasons I know not. Yesterday morning I started the process again and went out to do some work. I checked it around mid-day and it had progressed up over 50% (!?). At the end of my day, the entire Settings box had turned black, so I could not tell what its progress was. It was still that way when I went to bed. This may be the slowest update I have ever experienced, so I hope it is, indeed, "impressive."

This morning it was in the "setting up your PC" mode, so something worked. It does report Build 10049 over there in the corner. It rearranged my desktop icons, and, while I was putting them back in order, I discovered two new ones: Korea Media Player Center & Korea Messenger Center. The Properties box for each shows what appears to be legitimate Microsoft links. I have not clicked on these to see where they lead, but will later on. (I like Asian ladies, so am hopeful they may be dating sites.)

I did open Internet Explorer and saw that it is now introducing Spartan. Didn't have time to play with it at the time. The Calendar, Mail and People tiles have lost their names again, but I remember that fix and will do it later. I still have outside work to do and have some cherry trees to spray before the wind comes up. I will take a break sometime during the day and tinker with it to see what is new.

Film at eleven,

Russ

OP
Russ

Russ

I still have outside work to do and have some cherry trees to spray before the wind comes up. I will take a break sometime during the day and tinker with it to see what is new.
Film at eleven,
Russ

Well, it's not eleven, but it is drizzling rain so I can't spray. Back to build 10049:

* Recovered the names for the Mail, Calendar & People tiles. Have to remove the apps (using a Powershell command), then reinstall, reboot and the names are back.

* Have a new item on the Start Menu called "Bio Enrollment," but it doesn't do anything. Just tells you that the "App can't open." Probably a placeholder for a future feature.

* The two Korean icons do, as expected, lead to webpages in the Korean language. (Since I can't read Korean, I don't know if they're dating sites or not.)

* Placement of icons on the desktop is more precise. This may have been true in previous builds and I just didn't notice. This install scrambled my desktop icons (twice) so I had to reorganize them.

* Restart seems to be much slower.

* Under "All Apps" is "Project Spartan." May not be new, but I had not noticed it before. I see we have a new forum for Spartan, so will reserve any comments here.

* Calculator has some new features which I may (or not) get around to using.

That's it, so far. If I find anything else interesting, I will report it.

Regards,
Russ

bluegrass

I'm amazed that you got some Korean links in this upgrade. Nobody else mentioned them. Also, I'm totally amazed that you noticed some new features in the calculator. You must check every app and take screen shots to be that observant. Will be looking for more of your observations so I can learn what all is new with this build.

OP
Russ

Russ

. . . amazed that you noticed some new features in the calculator.

Bluegrass --

I'm not all that observant, but the Win10 computer is on my workbench in the shop and I use the calculator quite often, so I noticed the difference. And, it's raining and I can't work outside, so am doing some stuff in my shop.

Take care,
Russ

Arizona Willie

When I tried to open the Bio Enrollment it told me to check the Store for more information but there was NOTHING ( yet ) about Bio Enrollment in the Store.
Checked both the beta store and the regular Store.

Probably will show up after the next release ( hopefully ).

OP
Russ

Russ

. . . check the Store for more information

Hi, Willie --

Yeah, I got that message and also checked the Stores.

Did you get the Korea folders? I was curious, so did an online search and found another guy who got them. He has a site called DailyTech. I think they just slipped through due to some casual coding.

Take care,
Russ

Spider

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd run a malware scan, I don't think those Korean links are part of build 10049.

OP
Russ

Russ

I don't < think > I got the Korea folders. What are they and where do I find them and what do they do?

Willie --

Mine showed up as icons on the desktop and also on the "All Apps" list. All they do is take you to a Microsoft page in the Korean language.

Spider --

They appear to be an inadvertent part of the 10049 download. They aren't malware. The guy at DailyTech also got them, and reached the same conclusion that I did. His discussion of them is way down the page.

Regards,
Russ

Arizona Willie

I have quite a few icons already on the desktop so I didn't notice them. I will look next time I hook up the W10 drive, maybe today.

Willie --

Mine showed up as icons on the desktop and also on the "All Apps" list. All they do is take you to a Microsoft page in the Korean language.

Spider --

They appear to be an inadvertent part of the 10049 download. They aren't malware. The guy at DailyTech also got them, and reached the same conclusion that I did. His discussion of them is way down the page.

Regards,
Russ

Nummer35

Do you also have trouble with the two finger flick in IE? It scrolls after a few trys. The trackpad works fine in all other apps like chrome or settings. Any solutions?