What's new

Image Viewer App?

lvlln

I got a Surface Pro 3 recently and was looking for an image viewer app. Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck finding one that suits my needs from searching the Windows store, Google, and even this forum, so I wanted to ask the people here.

Basically, I want something that is easy to use on touch screen and also provides simple filesystem features like:
- Delete image
- Move image to a different folder
- Copy image to a different folder
- Sort images in folder by (Name/Filesize/Date Modified/Filetype/etc.)

as well as being able to view image properties like
-Filesize
-Image dimensions
-Image dates (creation, modified, etc)

I normally use XnView on my main Windows machine, but I've found that its interface is pretty terrible for touchscreen use. I'm looking for a Metro app since those seem to be more responsive to touchscreens than desktop apps, but really, any app with a touchscreen-friendly interface would be fine.

(As an aside, I find it ridiculous that MS's included image viewer doesn't have all of those above features baked in. Literally, that's stuff that Windows Explorer can show/do natively, and that's not even an image viewer!)

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

I do nearly all of those things with Windows Explorer, and it's free. ;)

OP
L

lvlln

Thank you. I do know that I can do all those in Windows Explorer. It certainly works, but the fact that Windows Explorer isn't an image viewer means I can't get a good look at the images - only the thumbnails - without actually opening the images in an app. And it's a pain having to switch back and forth between the desktop and the image viewer app whenever I want to move an image or view details about it. The fact that Windows Explorer and the image viewer don't stay sync'd - that is, if I open an image from Windows Explorer using the image viewer, then swipe to a different image or folder, then go back to the desktop, Windows Explorer still has the original image selected - adds even more extra steps.

I'm accustomed to image viewer apps natively having filesystem and image details support - both on my Windows desktop and my Android tablet - so I was hoping to find an app in Windows that would allow me to use a similar workflow as what I'm used to.

OP
L

lvlln

What's wrong with the built in Photo App? It does everything you're wanting....

Does it? I wasn't able to find anything with respect to copying/moving the file, or to view image details like resolution, filesize, or date. Closest thing I could find was the option to open the image with a different app. Maybe I'm missing something because I'm still new to the Surface. Would you mind telling me how I can access those filesystem and image details options in the native Photo app?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
From the first screen:
upload_2014-10-28_14-8-56.png

OP
L

lvlln

From the first screen:
View attachment 4260
Oh, I see. I didn't notice you could select and move/copy images from the file view. That's certainly useful, but the problem is that those options aren't available when viewing an individual image. So if I launch the Photo app from Windows Explorer in the desktop by selecting an image, I can't access those tools. If I press the back button in the top left to go into the file view, it sends me to the last folder I was at in the Photo app, rather than the folder in which the image I was just looking at is stored.

Even if I open an image through the Photo app rather than launching from Explorer, if I press the back button in the top left to go back to the file view, it sends me to the TOP of the folder in which the image is stored, rather than where that image is in the folder. This is obviously problematic when I'm dealing with a folder with 100+ images, as that means a ton of scrolling to re-find the image I was just looking at.

I've decided for now to stick with XnView and to customize the UI as much as possible to make it friendly for touchscreen. The tiny UI buttons designed for mouse certainly make things difficult, but it seems to be the best solution for me so far.

I've used Irfanview before on my desktop and found that it's almost the same as XnView. But maybe I'll try revisiting it on my SP3 to see if its interface is more touchscreen friendly than XnView's.

mariam

I've used KrojamSoft PhotoViewerPro , and I really love it. It's easy to use, and it's got some simple editing tools with it.