What's new

I'm trying very hard not to throw this phone up against the wall :(

Arizona Willie

I've been trying for the last week to set up an email account on my new Lumia 640 XL dumbphone.

My email provider is cox.net.

It works fine on this desktop and on my Surface Pro Tablet.

But on the phone it just keeps telling me my settings are out of date and asking me to input my password.

Over and over and over and over.

And, I can find no way to set the ports it should use for pop / smtp as there is in the REAL Outlook email app.

When I go to Microsoft Forums for this phone and ask, I hear crickets chirping.

When I go to Microsoft's Answer Desk and dig into it I find instructions for adding an email account of various kinds including an email account from your ISP -- aha just what I need --- sorry it's for Windows 8 and the instructions they give you bear no resemblance to the screens in W10 nor are the functions they tell you to look for there either.

If I substitute a 10 in place of the 8 in the url for the trouble page I get a page not found -- of course.

Even though W10 has been in beta for many many months and the release version is out there MICROSOFT has ZERO help pages oriented for Windows 10 phones and how to do things with them. Windows 8 they gotcha' / Windows 10 --- sorry bud we don't do Windows 10.

I have the latest Windows Phone updates etc. etc. I'm in the Fast Ring.

Anyone got any suggestion?

Anyone use a Lumia 640 XL phone to get email via cox.net?

I came soooo close yesterday to smashing this thing against the wall it's scary to think of wasting a brand new phone because of my temper.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's not done... put it back to 8.1 err... whatever they call the OS for phones.
Wait at least 6 months after they call it done before installing the "public beta" that is the generally available release at that time.

Compusmurf

Win 10 mobile is horrible right now. Nothing but problem after problem. The beta is bad, apps are not even 1/2 ready yet. I'd suggest WPRT back to 8.1 and wait for a few more releases unless you want these headaches.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You loaded the Windows 10 Mobile Insider Build on your phone? The problem you're seeing is a known bug for POP and IMAP Accounts, no issues for EAS Accounts....

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

Many thanks to those who responded.

I'm surprised they didn't tell me this in the Forums for Lumia's and Windows 10 phones etc. etc all the places I've been asking ... no one ever piped up and said it was a known bug.

Fortunately, other than sending pictures, I don't need to get e-mail on my phone -- but I don't like having a device that can't do what it is supposed to do. But then they do call it a phone -- not a Lumia 640 XL email machine.

Guess I'll give up for now and wait for further updates to the OS.

THANKS AGAIN

PS my phone and my wall both thank you :)

You loaded the Windows 10 Mobile Insider Build on your phone? The problem you're seeing is a known bug for POP and IMAP Accounts, no issues for EAS Accounts....

Compusmurf

Heck, the phone part is flaky on w10mob still. If you rely upon it for anything at all, don't use the preview. It isn't even as stable as the very first pc build was last year. My opinion of course. Fun to peek and see, not stable for real world. Is why they beg every day on Twitter for another release.

Compusmurf

You are lucky, I have it"running" on a 640 spare. Running is pretty loose term, sometimes things just act up and I feel the OP's pain. I can't trust it yet, but might be cool in the future.

kundas1

I was having that exact problem on my SP3 when I upgraded to win10, so its just not windows phones... just go back to 8.1 and problem solved.. but why U HATING ON THE PHONE? its an OS problem not a phone problem...

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

I discovered that the Outlook email on the Lumia < is > sending email. It acts and looks like nothing is happening.
But when I clicked on the + sign and made up a test message it seemed like it didn't work. But then it showed up in email on the desktop!!

Tried a few more and sending a pic and it WORKED!!!

But it doesn't receive any email. Still keeps popping up all the time and wanting my password even though I have put it in 100 times.

And being able to send is more important than receiving ... at least from the phone because if I was sending I would likely be out somewhere to be sending from the phone. I'd much rather be on the Desktop for regular emailing.

So now I know it WILL send emails even though it acts like it didn't.

Perhaps will another beta release they will get it fixed.

I hope.