What's new

I'M DONE with my Surface Pro 2 and Microsoft

galenweaver

Ok, so I have put up with all the minor quirks with my SP2 I bought in November, then in Dec Microsoft did the firmware update and my SP2 wouldn't sleep. If I closed the key board or even shut it down all the way when I started it back up 90% of the time the battery was dead. This made the unit totally useless unless it was plugged in. Since Microsoft has not done a firmware update to fix it I got a replacement sent to me from the warranty center (the store hasn't had them in stock for over 2 weeks). And by the way they did not tell me this at the time but any unit that is sent to you is a REFURBISHED unit, what BS!

So I spend the last 2 days getting the new (refurbished) unit all set up and this morning it won't even turn on. Called support and they could not get it to come on.

I am so done with microsoft and my SP2. It's all going back to the store today for a refund. I have been a loyal MS user but Apple here I come. So pissed and fed up with it.

TheCudder

Sorry to hear about your woes with the SP2. It seems MSFT's 2nd gen of Surface (both models) are off to a rougher start than the first gen from a functionality standpoint.

DOS

Same here, sorry to hear about your problems. I have the SP1 and it has been nothing but a delight to work with. I'm glad I didn't upgrade to the SP2... I'm really surprised Microsoft hasn't fixed that firmware update yet...

bertopl

yea, was close to pulling the trigger on a 512 SP2 but all these problems being reported are giving me cold feet. got the SP1 at launch and dont remember nearly as many problems here. mines been solid since yesterdays updates. :(

Krighton

I dunno. I've never had any issues with either model. Given that they're nearly identical, I'm convinced those that "give up" are victims of PEBKAC.

Which can ONLY be solved by purchasing an Apple product, as no common sense, need for real word apps, speed, or compatibility with 99.9% of all software are ever needed.

I'm sure at this point none of you know what PEBKAC means. If only there was a website that would let you type words in it, and then tell you the meaning..I'd call it Kroogle!

Enjoy that Mac. ;)

dougpaw57

Saying that you're fed up with MS and your Surface, and you're going to buy an apple? What for, to watch movies and play Angry Birds? I had a Surface Pro that I got on launch day back in February and it was flawless. I gave it to my kid and bought a Pro 2 back in December and it has also been flawless.

da2tha3

To be fair, people are expected to make a "welcoming" post, so perhaps it's out of politeness that they also make a "goodbye" one?

In any case, I can understand the frustrations of the OP. I've also had lots of issues with my SP2, but they haven't been quite enough to deter me, as when the device works, it works reallywell for me, but since you clearly bought it for certain functionality, I can only assume that you're returning it within a certain grace period that you have for a full refund? Otherwise, why not wait until at least the next firmware update; either for a final nail in the coffin or to actually (not holding my breath here) fix the damned thing?

DOS

I believe the majority of the time users post this "Goodbye" message simply out of frustration. Unfortunately, by the time their post is complete, their frustration has turned to spite as with the OP here. "Apple here I come".

Although this will probably not change the minds of those currently using the device with success; word-of-mouth is the best advertising. Now they can walk away satisfied; knowing they have probably discouraged one individual out there from purchasing it.

Posting these types of messages on a fan site may ultimately be futile, but understandable none-the-less.

PEBKAC? Really? I think there are way too many people having problems with the firmware update to call this a user error.

godson594

Ok, so I have put up with all the minor quirks with my SP2 I bought in November, then in Dec Microsoft did the firmware update and my SP2 wouldn't sleep. If I closed the key board or even shut it down all the way when I started it back up 90% of the time the battery was dead. This made the unit totally useless unless it was plugged in. Since Microsoft has not done a firmware update to fix it I got a replacement sent to me from the warranty center (the store hasn't had them in stock for over 2 weeks). And by the way they did not tell me this at the time but any unit that is sent to you is a REFURBISHED unit, what BS!

So I spend the last 2 days getting the new (refurbished) unit all set up and this morning it won't even turn on. Called support and they could not get it to come on.

I am so done with microsoft and my SP2. It's all going back to the store today for a refund. I have been a loyal MS user but Apple here I come. So pissed and fed up with it.

Just be happy you can get your money back. Least your not (stuck) with the device. If you dont need a touch screen or windows specific applications then you cant go wrong with a Macbook air or pro depending what type of work you do... "I have had 4 different macbook airs and pros with zero issues"

P.s. im on my third sp2 replacement.

Dont expect anyone to care you are leaving, this is more of a fanboy site.. theres nobody from microsoft here who actually cares they lost another customer.

Good luck

Edit - not Apple fanboy either but I choose what is solid for work, I ran bootcamp on the air and it ran windows 7 flawless.... and nobody can touch a macbook trackpad... I prefer windows OS and need to run solidworks "windows only" hence why im here :)

Last edited: