What's new

IE re-opens closed tabs

MMU

This has been driving me nuts for over a year and I'm ready to do something about it.

I use the Modern IE in tablet mode. I rarely have the keyboard attached. Whenever I open IE it opens a lot of browser tabs I had previously closed. The net effect is that I rarely have less than 30-40 tabs open and it does no good to close them, next time I use IE they all re-appear!

Someone have mercy on me and help me fix this aggravating behavior!

OP
M

MMU

Are all the open tabs legit. I've seen that happen with malware.
Yes, they are all tabs I've opened previously.

I think I may have a work around, it appears to work the first time I tried it.

I wasn't aware that IE doesn't actually close (anymore) when I swipe downward. Now I swipe down and pause at the bottom until the app flips over. This closes IE and it appears my old (closed) tabs do not reappear the next time I run IE, more testing will verify.

I also downloaded the app that allows me to shorten the amount of time required for the app to close when pausing at the bottom of the swipe. Very nice!

OP
M

MMU

Not actually solved, just a work-around. Tabs should not re-open after they've been closed, even if the app is not shut-down.

leeshor

In that case I removed the "solved" part from the title. You are correct, closed tabs should not reopen - anyway

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
With MUI IE that exactly how it is designed to work, when you move the App to off focus it suspends the App, if you want it to close you use the Pull Down and wait for Flip. This is by design....

OP
M

MMU

With MUI IE that exactly how it is designed to work, when you move the App to off focus it suspends the App, if you want it to close you use the Pull Down and wait for Flip. This is by design....

True, but in my case instances of the browser (tabs) that I have closed by clicking on the tabs "X" will re-appear after the Surface had been suspended or even re-booted. These tabs will keep coming back after repeatedly closing them until there are so many tabs open the browser crashes and re-openes with only one tab.

My work-around is to close the browser manually after closing a bunch of tabs.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
True, but in my case instances of the browser (tabs) that I have closed by clicking on the tabs "X" will re-appear after the Surface had been suspended or even re-booted. These tabs will keep coming back after repeatedly closing them until there are so many tabs open the browser crashes and re-openes with only one tab.

My work-around is to close the browser manually after closing a bunch of tabs.
If it happening like that, I would look at your desktop IE Settings or run a Malware Scan. That isn't normal behavior, If I leave Tabs Open and swipe IE off the screen, only the tabs I left are there...

OP
M

MMU

If it happening like that, I would look at your desktop IE Settings or run a Malware Scan. That isn't normal behavior, If I leave Tabs Open and swipe IE off the screen, only the tabs I left are there...

Do you think settings in the desktop IE affect the behavior of the modern IE?