What's new

i7 Surface book Battery consumption

bukagene

Just bought the new i7 16gb 512 gb HD with performance base.

With a full charge the tablet without dock gets less than an hour of battery life and this is on power saving mode while I am simply sketching. Not to mention it gets hot, like almost to hot to hold hot.

Right now I am just surfing the web connected to the main dock in power saving mode and the battery is at 60% and it states I have 3 hours and some change left of power...

I thought the new performance base was supposed to be 16 hours of battery life? I'm no where near 16 hours of battery life.

Not to mention it took me about 45 minutes to register to this site because the computer would lock up and the mouse would freeze... That's with no other applications running in the background, and even if I did its a i7 16gb computer...

By no means am I a computer genius...

Thoughts? faulty computer? I am overall disappointed.

Lobo

Hi bukagene and congrats on your purchase! :)

In case you really just got it, your Surface Book might well be scouring the internet for and downloading the last few gazillion updates since they slapped a wrapper on it besides running indexing and countless other things. Also, the battery will need a few cycles to set up shop properly.
In short: I wouldn't worry just yet.

I grabbed an i5 base model a few days ago myself and runtime keeps getting better.

Unfortunately, they don't sell the performance base around these parts, but remember that the improvements sit in the base unit, so the tablet alone won't last any longer or perform any faster by itself really.

Wayne Orwig

Well, if it is running hot, then it is busy doing something. I would give it a couple of days and hope it completes a few updates that will clear it up.

I guess it could be a defect.

OP
B

bukagene

Like the tablet i generally use it to load an ebook and chill... And the back gets super hot. Like i have to hold it on its sides hot. I did a test yesterday full battery connected to base using both batteries no backlit keyboard no updates shown needed and in power saving mode, and its telling me at 60% battery i have 3 hours and 30 minutes of use remaining.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like the tablet i generally use it to load an ebook and chill... And the back gets super hot. Like i have to hold it on its sides hot. I did a test yesterday full battery connected to base using both batteries no backlit keyboard no updates shown needed and in power saving mode, and its telling me at 60% battery i have 3 hours and 30 minutes of use remaining.

When you feel it getting hot, open up task manager (right click on task bar, and it's near the bottom) and look at whether the CPU is under heavy use, and what is causing it. As other have said, there is a strong possibility that your machine is buying installing updates; you can check to see if this is the case by opening system settings and clicking on update. Additionally, when a windows machine is first setup, it can spend a couple of days running things in the background, such as indexing etc.

Lobo

Like the tablet i generally use it to load an ebook and chill... And the back gets super hot. Like i have to hold it on its sides hot. [...]

Well that's certainly not to be expected when reading an ebook. Something's being worked on in the Background.

When exactly did you buy it? How many hours have you used it?