What's new

I won a Surface 2!

deldalton

Oh, wow! Congratulations, and welcome to the forum!

I have an SP2 but I've heard very good things about the S2. I'm certain you won't be disappointed (regardless of your use-case ... ;))

hypokondriak

Just got news from Microsoft that I was one of the 500 winners in their Surface 2 Remix project, so I won a Surface 2!

Very excited and I really hope it doesn't take the 8-10 week window they suggest on the terms of service LOL.

I'm currently using an iPad 2 and am looking for any tips and tricks that might make my transition smooth here: http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...2-looking-tips-good-transition.html#post42501

Glad to be part of the community!

Hey welcome aboard hope you stick around and share some of what you learn in the transition.

As a current owner and someone heavily invested in the Apple Ecosystem (that is changing for me now) here is some feedback / advice:

1. The Windows Store does not have as many apps as Apple or Android, but it does have a lot of good ones. Don't forget that you are getting a FULL Internet Explorer 11 browser with Flash, HTML5, etc. You can add a bookmark to the start screen and the difference between that and an "app" becomes ticky tacky in some cases.

2. You'll probably find that you like Xbox Music and/or Google Play All Access way more than iTunes. You can just buy a monthly subscription and stream a lot more valuable content than iTunes radio. Plus you can co-locate purchased albums with streamed albums. I love this for catching up on back catalogs.

3. Don't be surprised if you find yourself really liking how Windows 8.1 operates as a touch-enabled platform. I know the mass media and people are telling you right now that you'd be a fool to like it, but some of us *gasp* really think it's better in some ways.

4. Some of my favorite apps:

-Surface 2 Forum App (to browse these forums!)
-Discourse - a really powerfull news/RSS/twitter/topic aggregation tool that makes Flipboard seem meh....
-Primetime / Plex (if you are a Cord Cutter)
-Reckless Racing - this replaces my Angry Birds fix. I actually like it more than Angry Birds I think.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

hypokondriak

Oh yeah one other thing don't forget that you have true multi tasking! When I'm on my Surface 2 I don't always remember this because the other platforms limit you. I love running the twitter app using 25% of the screen and web browser or something else in the rest. It's quite nice.

mjgerrard

Congratulations on the win! Just waiting to find out whether I've won anything ;)

Care to tell us what your Remix Project entry consisted of? No doubt worth a Surface 2! Would love to hear more about it!

OP
JuryDuty

JuryDuty

2. You'll probably find that you like Xbox Music and/or Google Play All Access way more than iTunes. You can just buy a monthly subscription and stream a lot more valuable content than iTunes radio. Plus you can co-locate purchased albums with streamed albums. I love this for catching up on back catalogs.

I actually have Google Play backing up my iTunes library right now and use it to stream from online. But I still like taking some of my music with me. I can always drag and drop my favorite songs over, but I was hoping for a more seamless way.

Care to tell us what your Remix Project entry consisted of? No doubt worth a Surface 2! Would love to hear more about it!

Well, you could enter by posting a video or a tweet. I just did a tweet, but I said if I had a Surface I'd use it to learn remixing as I learn guitar from my music teacher. (Hey, don't judge--I had only 140 characters!)

The contest was for the Surface 2 + the special Remix cover that lets you remix songs: http://www.surfaceremixproject.com/

I'm still floored. Last time I won anything, it was 1996 and was a stuffed Energizer Bunny Christmas Stocking. This is better.

Last edited:

hypokondriak

Unfortunately all 3 of these companies are against seamless when you get out of their profit centers. Grasping at straws here, but wondering if you could have all your iTunes music saved to SkyDrive (perhaps using symlinks?), have Google app read from that same folder, and point xBox music to that same folder. My gut feeling is none of this will work but it seems like automatically getting it to SkyDrive could be the best first step at this. Anyone else have thoughts?

OP
JuryDuty

JuryDuty

Congrats and welcome aboard!

Yay--just got my shipment confirmation. Looks like it's coming on Monday!

Shipment Confirmation
Your prize is on its way!

Your prize you have won in the Microsoft Surface Remix Projec was shipped on 11/13/2013 via UPS
Use this UPS Tracking number to check the status of your shipment:

[tracking number]

Prize shipped: Surface Tablet w/ Blade Add-on