What's new

I turned off encryption and....

irogos

I turned off encryption to try and speed up the drive a bit and after it finished turning off, I was left with 10gb of space. I had no access to all the hard drive that must have been previously encrypted. Before turning off encryption I had 90gb out of my 110 total.

Anyone know how to fix this? I ended up deleting and reinstalling windows, but I would like to have encryption off to have slightly faster hard drive without losing all that space.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I turned off encryption to try and speed up the drive a bit and after it finished turning off, I was left with 10gb of space. I had no access to all the hard drive that must have been previously encrypted. Before turning off encryption I had 90gb out of my 110 total.

Anyone know how to fix this? I ended up deleting and reinstalling windows, but I would like to have encryption off to have slightly faster hard drive without losing all that space.
Bitlocker has very little overhead and encryption is needed for Secure Boot and Connected Standby to work as intended. I highly recommend using Bitlocker on your device.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Id assume the space issue was a temporary condition and once the full decryption was completed you would have the original amount of space left. Id also assume the encryption is handled by the drive hardware as it is with SP3 so there would be very little impact.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What does Bitlocker do?
BitLocker provides support for device encryption on x86 and x64-based computers with a TPM that supports connected stand-by. Previously this form of encryption was only available on Windows RT devices.

Device encryption helps protect data on your Windows PC. It helps block malicious users from accessing the system files they rely on to discover your password, or from accessing your drive by physically removing it from your PC and installing it in a different one. You can still sign in to Windows and use your files as you normally would. Device encryption protects the operating system drive and any fixed data drives on the system using AES 128-bit encryption. Device encryption can be used with either a Microsoft Account or a domain account. To support device encryption, the system must support connected standby and meet the Windows Hardware Certification Kit (HCK) requirements for TPM and SecureBoot on ConnectedStandby systems.

LsRamAir

Not sure why it would have eaten up the hard drive space...

I turned off the encryption (via toggle in PC settings/PC and Devices/PC Info/Device Encryption) about an hour after i opened the Surface3 and havent had any ill effects in the last 5 days since...

Nothing too special Im storing on it really.