What's new

I seem to have bricked my SP3, solved but do i have a hibernate issue?

OP
Sassi

Sassi

Connected Standby devices such as Surface Pro 3 do not support hibernation unless you disable Connected Standby, so most likely it shuts down.

I thought it was meant to switch from Connected standby to hibernation after 4 hours or so, that is what I read...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Surface Pro 3 has a Proprietary Firmware specifically for Power Management (its an EEPROM next to the battery on the Motherboard), it operates lower than Ring 0 in the OS and enforces Power Management and Thermal Controls....so OOB:

Connected Standby: 0-4 Hours
Lite Hibernation: 4-12 Hours
Deep Hibernation: 12+ Hours

With the Hibernation Hack you're bypassing the Connected Standby.

Liam2349

I thought it was meant to switch from Connected standby to hibernation after 4 hours or so, that is what I read...

Maybe. I thought I read on a Microsoft page that you can't use connected standby and hibernate at the same time, that connected standby replaces hibernation.

Perhaps hibernation is integrated as a stage of connected standby then.

OP
Sassi

Sassi

Ok. So I started up this morning by pressing the power button and the surface logo appeared and all my apps were still open so it seems it can hibernate fine, it just doesn't like it from the menu... odd as other people say its fine for them, but it's easy enough to avoid I guess.

mennogreg

That is weird. How did you add Hibernate to the start screen (you said you looked up a way on Google)? For what its worth, I added Hibernate on mine through the Group Policy control, but I don't have it set to hibernate with a press of power button. And I still have Connected Standby active.

OP
Sassi

Sassi

That is weird. How did you add Hibernate to the start screen (you said you looked up a way on Google)? For what its worth, I added Hibernate on mine through the Group Policy control, but I don't have it set to hibernate with a press of power button. And I still have Connected Standby active.

Hi
I added it to the menu using Group Policy control, so it was on the power menu. Mine's being replaced anyway now, because of a couple of issues, not least of which the yellow band of doom. So I'll have to see how the new one goes when I get it.