What's new

I don't like Windows 10

stlbud

I'm now enjoying my second Surface with Windows 8.1. I like the way it works as a tablet. I don't need another desktop computer - portable or otherwise. I like Live Tiles. They give me lots of information at a glance. I like full screen apps when using a tablet. I like controls that are easy to activate with my finger. I like the way the controls get out of the way of the content (hide). It puts more of the app on the screen making everything more immersive. I get more text, more picture, more movie, more fun. I like radial menus like we got in the OneNote app. They make selecting options quick and easy with touch. Don't get me wrong, Windows 8.1 is not perfect by any stretch. Many of it's features were not obvious; they were difficult to find and nearly impossible to activate with a mouse.

Windows 8 was innovative. Yeah, there was a learning curve but there is a lot that works well. Windows 10 takes away many of the great touch features in Windows 8.1. I don't understand the logic. I know Windows 8.1 doesn't work very well in a desktop environment, but why did Microsoft take out the touch features for Window 10? There has to be some way the two can coexist. With Windows 10 all we have is a clunky tablet PC. Uggh!

I want a tablet that is responsive to touch. I want to be able watch a video when I'm on the bus. I want to be able to read a book while sitting at home. I want to read a few web articles without sifting through a bunch of other windows.

Can Stardock make Windows 10 more like Windows 8.1? Please?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm now enjoying my second Surface with Windows 8.1. I like the way it works as a tablet. I don't need another desktop computer - portable or otherwise. I like Live Tiles. They give me lots of information at a glance. I like full screen apps when using a tablet. I like controls that are easy to activate with my finger. I like the way the controls get out of the way of the content (hide). It puts more of the app on the screen making everything more immersive. I get more text, more picture, more movie, more fun. I like radial menus like we got in the OneNote app. They make selecting options quick and easy with touch. Don't get me wrong, Windows 8.1 is not perfect by any stretch. Many of it's features were not obvious; they were difficult to find and nearly impossible to activate with a mouse.

Windows 8 was innovative. Yeah, there was a learning curve but there is a lot that works well. Windows 10 takes away many of the great touch features in Windows 8.1. I don't understand the logic. I know Windows 8.1 doesn't work very well in a desktop environment, but why did Microsoft take out the touch features for Window 10? There has to be some way the two can coexist. With Windows 10 all we have is a clunky tablet PC. Uggh!

I want a tablet that is responsive to touch. I want to be able watch a video when I'm on the bus. I want to be able to read a book while sitting at home. I want to read a few web articles without sifting through a bunch of other windows.

Can Stardock make Windows 10 more like Windows 8.1? Please?
It seems Start10 only messes with the start menus so no I don't think Start10 will get you there. I don't know what the other Stardock products do *yet*.

Now Start8 on Win8/8.1 was the perfect solution for those that didn't want the Start Screen and wanted to live on the Desktop.

compnovo

It seems Start10 only messes with the start menus so no I don't think Start10 will get you there. I don't know what the other Stardock products do *yet*.

Now Start8 on Win8/8.1 was the perfect solution for those that didn't want the Start Screen and wanted to live on the Desktop.
That was my solution and I thought it worked great.