What's new

Howto Install Apps from other Regions

Maulwurf

Hi everyone,

I'm here in Germany and the Surface delivered to me was in German, but the Reviews in the Marketplace were in English. Also I could see some Apps, which shouldn't be seen in Europe (Netflix, PRadio, etc.). If you're in Europe you will not see or find them.

So here is how it goes:

1) On the Main Metro Screen search for "Region" (Region is German, but should be the same in English). You will have to go to Settings to find this:
Unbenannt.png

2) This will open the following Window on your Desktop:
Unbenannt2.PNG

3) On the second Tab ("Aufenthaltsort" in German) you will be able to tell you Windows 8 Device where it is ;) Setting this to French will give you Access to Apps which are only available in France. IT WILL NOT Change your Displaylanguage to French, however the Reviews in the Marketplace and some other App-specific Details would be in the Region Language. After installing your desired App you can easily switch back to your Region. This can be done as many times as you want.

Enjoy :)

(As I am enjoying Pandora here in Germany... ;) )

Greetings,

Maulwurf

Last edited:
OP
M

Maulwurf

Great post.

Thanks! I am quite new to this Forum (as can be seen by my post count), but I do like it very much. So I think I'll spent some of my future time here and share my tipps and experiences with the Microsoft Surface with you guys.

Btw, I know this topic isn't only relevant to the Surface but to every Win8 Device. However, shouldn't it be moved to the Surface Faq and Tipps section? I didn't see that Forum when creating this Post.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Thanks! I am quite new to this Forum (as can be seen by my post count), but I do like it very much. So I think I'll spent some of my future time here and share my tipps and experiences with the Microsoft Surface with you guys.

Btw, I know this topic isn't only relevant to the Surface but to every Win8 Device. However, shouldn't it be moved to the Surface Faq and Tipps section? I didn't see that Forum when creating this Post.

Thanks for jumping right in and contributing :) This section is also a very good location for this thread and is a place people will likely look for tips on apps. Instead of moving it, making it a sticky here should be just as helpful.

JP

nvinyl

Fantastic post. I was trying to troubleshoot why I could not see the mlb.tv app in the windows store and when I set my location to the USA (i'm from Australia) it then became available. Even their support could not tell me why this was happening. Much appreciated!!