What's new

Solved How to only ink with pen in Word/Office

Liam2349

Is there a way to ink only with the pen in Word and the rest of Office (not OneNote)?

I want to be able to write on documents, spreadsheets e.t.c. with reminders and still scroll with my fingers and click with the trackpad, but I can't find a way of doing this. Right now when I select ink, my fingers, trackpad and pen all want to do the inking.

Any of you figured this out?

ctitanic

Excell is a different beast but in Word is possible.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Tsurugaya

If pen is selected you get inking with your fingers too. I think OP has to wait for Gemini before that is possible.

OP
L

Liam2349

Excell is a different best but in Word is possible.

View attachment 3530

I did manage to ink in Word, but my problem was that my fingers would also ink, as would the trackpad - I only want ink to come from the pen. I'm trying to write with the pen, and scroll with my fingers without ink coming from my fingertips.

Do you know a way to make this happen?

Tsurugaya

Make sure that the pen contacts the screen before you rest your palm on the screen. Do you notice any difference?

OP
L

Liam2349

Make sure that the pen contacts the screen before you rest your palm on the screen. Do you notice any difference?

If the pen is detected, touch will be disabled so then I can't scroll. I just want ink to only come from the pen, so that I can scroll with my fingers without having to de-select the ink.

In OneNote I ink with the pen and scroll with my fingers. I don't have to de-select the pen to scroll. I'm trying to make the rest of Office work like this.

Get what I'm saying?

bluegrass

I just turned on inking to see what you were talking about. I guess I'm confused about your problem. I had to push the left button on my mouse or push down hard on the track pad before ink would come out. I could move my cursor all over the page and too the scrolling bar and than press the mouse button to scroll. Can't you just lift your pen or your finger off the paper and move it over to select a scroll bar or scroll arrow. I tested it with Word 2013.

OP
L

Liam2349

I just turned on inking to see what you were talking about. I guess I'm confused about your problem. I had to push the left button on my mouse or push down hard on the track pad before ink would come out. I could move my cursor all over the page and too the scrolling bar and than press the mouse button to scroll. Can't you just lift your pen or your finger off the paper and move it over to select a scroll bar or scroll arrow. I tested it with Word 2013.

I'm not complaining about accidental inking. I just want ink to only work with the pen, as it does in OneNote.

I just want ink to come from the pen and nowhere else. I want to drag the page and scroll with my fingers without ink coming from them, just like in OneNote.

Tsurugaya

Well, that will not happen until Windows 9 is released. So all we can tell you is that you will need to be patient.

nnthemperor

If you don't mind using a third party scroller application(AHK), someone over at the tabletpcreview forums wrote an application for that. I'll try to upload it as I saved it somewhere in my Dropbox.