What's new

How to get backup of SP3 if it won’t start?

cricket1001

I’m afraid that I have lost any info or files that are on my SP3 that wasn’t saved to OneDrive because I can’t get my SP3 to turn on. It fell and I have a small crack on the bottom left corner of the screen. Is there any way to get the info backed up somewhere somehow?

Thanks

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Won't turn on ... Means??? Absolutely nothing happens, no surface logo, no display flash of any kind? If that's the case, try holding the power button for thirty seconds then release it. Wait a few seconds then press and release the power button.

if that doesn't work ... Try holding the volume up button while holding the power button for at least 20 seconds ... You should see something on the screen ... Release both and then press thenpower button tomturn on if it's not already on...

If this also doesn't work it might be really dead.... Charge it over night to be sure and try the above again.

If it's still not coming on... The drive is removable if you want it bad enough, you'll have to remove the screen to get at it...

Wayne Orwig

Also, try an external display, in case it is just the display that is out.

In the future, run a scheduled backup. Mine are automated and I don't ever think about it.

Irena Zeithamel

Won't turn on ... Means??? Absolutely nothing happens, no surface logo, no display flash of any kind? If that's the case, try holding the power button for thirty seconds then release it. Wait a few seconds then press and release the power button.

if that doesn't work ... Try holding the volume up button while holding the power button for at least 20 seconds ... You should see something on the screen ... Release both and then press thenpower button tomturn on if it's not already on...

If this also doesn't work it might be really dead.... Charge it over night to be sure and try the above again.

If it's still not coming on... The drive is removable if you want it bad enough, you'll have to remove the screen to get at it...

Happened to me. It's possible that the wires connecting the battery are loose or broken. The tech in Microsoft store gently pressed and massaged (yes, massaged) the back of the Surface laying down on the table. It re-started. I was lucky. If the connection breaks, there is no help anymore.