What's new

How often do you really use your pen?

mitchellvii

One of the primary reasons I bought the Surface Pro over a convertible ultrabook like the Dell XPS 12 is access to the digitizer pen for taking handwritten notes in OneNote.

But I have found that because I can type so much faster than I write, I am rarely using the pen for inking. Also, obviously because my handwriting isn't the best, search accuracy at a later date will be more accurate with typed text. I find myself using the pen less for writing and more for diagramming, a task which could be easily handled by a normal stylus with a finer point which are commonly available today.

So, I am torn. I suppose that it is nice having the pen there in case I have to scrawl down some handwritten notes quickly and I don't have access to both hands to type - for example if I am in a restaurant on the phone and I don't have on my bluetooth headset and need to hold the phone with one hand as I write with the other.

So, glad I have it, but don't use it nearly as much as I imagined.

What's your experience?

Chase_Payne

You won't find much use for the stylus, unless you prefer handwritten notes (since there are studies stating that you are much more likely to recall written notes than typed)

Many college studies on the other hand tend to use a lot of math, the stylus for the pro is a complete godsend for mathematical equations. Especially OneNotes ink to math feature.

It's also a good mouse substitute, if you want to stay in tablet mode but would prefer more accurate clicks (since you can left and right click with it)

Y

tonyz3

I for one prefer my handwritten note over typing. I use it everyday in client meetings as well as staff meetings. In the evenings I tend to do a lot of sketching(I am not a pro in this area)I do allow my son's to draw with it as well. photo editing again not a pro but I try. For me the pen is very useful.

steveashe

I find the pen very useful. I used to go through a 50 page physical notebook a week; mainly taking notes at client meetings or taking notes on conference calls. I've saved literally pounds of notebooks over the past few months with OneNote. I bet I'll save 30 - 40 lbs of notebooks per year. Can't search my handwritten, chicken scratched notes in OneNote but I can refer to them at any time. I have about 2 dozen client accounts and have each one tabbed. I'm still getting used to this method but there's no going back for me.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Do you guys find it challenging writing on the glass? That has always been hard for me. No resistance to the pen makes my not great handwriting worse.

And then there is the ever-present cursor dot beneath my pen when I'm writing. Apparently this doesn't bothers others but I find it quite distracting. I am willing to be there is a regedit entry that would turn that off - lol, there is a regedit entry to control pretty much every possible behavior.

riggi

I use it every day to draw and write on PDFs. I'm a teacher and have pdf copies of all of the course books my students use.
I can write answers, circle, underline, draw connecting lines etc. I used to do this with a mouse, but it was slower and looked quite dodgy at times.

I also use the pen a lot when I'm using the SP in tablet mode. When I don't have a mouse, the pen is good for selecting and hovering.
Also, if I'm holding the SP in one hand and can't use two hands to type, using the pen to do handwriting to text can be more convenient than typing one handed.

mtalinm

like riggi, I use it to mark up PDF and Word documents. but, that is maybe 10-20% of my usage. so, instead of clipping it to the power outlet, I leave it in an Incipio case. happy user :)

Cike

I use the pen frequently. I might be able to type faster, but when I am in a meeting with other people, handwriting is less obtrusive. I also like to import documents (e.g., meeting agendas) and then annotate them

deavod

Do you guys find it challenging writing on the glass? That has always been hard for me. No resistance to the pen makes my not great handwriting worse.

And then there is the ever-present cursor dot beneath my pen when I'm writing. Apparently this doesn't bothers others but I find it quite distracting. I am willing to be there is a regedit entry that would turn that off - lol, there is a regedit entry to control pretty much every possible behavior.

Try the Wacom Bamboo Feel stylus ( Amazon.com). I find it has a more paper-like feel when writing on glass. Plus it looks pretty good, too.

apoc_reg

Constantly, it really is a brilliant device combined with the pen.

Its what really puts it above others.

For work (annotations), study (Notes and calculations) and general navigation of 1080p screen its great.

paesan

I use it all the time. My appraisal work requires me to fill out forms by either checking an item or selecting a field that brings up a drop down box. I could never do this with my fingers. I have a case that has a strap on the back an I am able to securely hold the SP with one hand and use the stylus with the other.
Does the Wacom Bamboo Feel stylus have an eraser, that is a must for my work. I do agree though that the SP stylus is very slippery when using it and it can get difficult to write with and straight lines for sketches that I draw.