What's new

How long do the batteries on the Surface Pro 3 pen last?

Cindy P

I have had my Surface Pro 3 for about a month. I already had to replace the AAAA battery because the pen would often stop working for a few seconds and then work again. Has anyone else had to replace the batteries yet?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Jordi

I am having problems with my pen, too, and I got mine at the beginning of December 2014. It will work for a while, and then the touch part quits working. I can't open new tabs, click links, etc. When I unscrew the cap so that the battery loses contact and then screw it on again, it works fine again--for a while. It has been doing this more and more lately. I wonder if it's my battery. If this battery is like other batteries that come with devices, they usually give you a cheap one to start with, but a Duracell or Energizer replacement ends up working much better. I haven't bought a new battery yet, but would someone else concur with this thought?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am having problems with my pen, too, and I got mine at the beginning of December 2014. It will work for a while, and then the touch part quits working. I can't open new tabs, click links, etc. When I unscrew the cap so that the battery loses contact and then screw it on again, it works fine again--for a while. It has been doing this more and more lately. I wonder if it's my battery. If this battery is like other batteries that come with devices, they usually give you a cheap one to start with, but a Duracell or Energizer replacement ends up working much better. I haven't bought a new battery yet, but would someone else concur with this thought?

This is what mine did. Was on win 10 so was troubleshooting other things, but then just pulled out the spare pen, took the battery out of it and put it in the "faulty" one, and voila, back to normal. For reference, my pen came with an Energizer battery.

ptrkhh

I used mine pretty heavily for about a month and my pen battery died. The supplied battery was a cheap GP battery. I have replaced it with a Duracell - I'll post again when it dies to see if there's any difference.
Well, I'm back just over a month later and I'm about to replace the Duracell battery. I've just started having difficulty clicking now and then, it is a bit intermittent.
Mine also comes with GP battery, and its starting to show the same symptom as what Cindy experienced

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Although I'm not a heavy user of my Surface, when I do use it I use the pen a LOT, I've taken lots of notes with it etc etc and still on the original battery. I got my Surface Pro 3 on Aug 28.

I bought 4 spare AAAA batteries for it but haven't had to touch them yet! Should last me a few years at this rate!