What's new

How do YOU watch movies (off line)

dniezby

Looking to watch some movies when I'm not around a WiFi Source. How do you get movies on your SP3 and watch them.

kundas1

Just transfer from USB stick to your SP3 or transfer it to your microSD card... copy then paste...

strollin

I rip DVDs and save as mp4 then I can copy them to my sd card or to an external USB drive and play them from there.

OP
dniezby

dniezby

I think I should rephrase the question. What I meant was how do "YOU" , as in how are other's putting movies on their SP3s to watch away from WiFi.. For example, are you just downloading? Do you like to USB transfer? Do you use an App?

I guess it did come though as a "How to" question.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I put it on a USB stick and copy it across and then I watch with vlc. Refuse to use Xbox video.

Wayne Orwig

I rip DVDs on my laptop. I copy the resulting MP4 to a 3Tb external USB drive that I use for backups. Plug that into the Surface and copy to the 64Gb external microSD card. I'm needing a 128Gb card now though. :)

I rip DVDs and save as mp4 then I can copy them to my sd card or to an external USB drive and play them from there.

Strollin, what settings are you using, and what size MP4 are you generally ending up with?

DirtyCanuck

Using built in network sharing I transfer files to the surface over the home network. No need for usb or sd cards.
I use Mplayer classic for videos. Winamp for audio.
go to codecs.com for the latest codec pack to play most all formats in one simple pack (klite is what I use).