What's new

How do you hold your Surface Pro 3?

Jordi32

I have an i7 Surface Pro 3. The top right hand side gets very hot, even the screen, which makes it uncomfortable to the touch when scrolling with my fingers when I hold the computer with the Windows start button on the right hand side. If I turn it so that the Windows button is on the left it is much more comfortable to scroll the screen with my fingers since the right side of the screen is cool.

I was wondering how you hold your Surface Pro 3 when using on Tablet mode?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Jordi

OP
J

Jordi32

Thank you for your message, Liam. I also hold it with my left hand. Do you have the Windows button on your left or right side when you hold your computer? If you have the Windows button on your right, do you scroll your webpages with your fingers on the right hand side of the screen? If so, isn't it uncomfortably hot to your fingers?

Liam2349

Thank you for your message, Liam. I also hold it with my left hand. Do you have the Windows button on your left or right side when you hold your computer? If you have the Windows button on your right, do you scroll your webpages with your fingers on the right hand side of the screen? If so, isn't it uncomfortably hot to your fingers?

I keep the Windows button on the right side when holding in landscape, and typically scroll around the middle of the screen. The top right can get warm but the screen has never been uncomfortable for me to touch, only warm.

Gary.M

If in landscape I use it with windows key on the right, I make full use of the stand though because why not? To be honest though I never find it too hot to hold.

In portrait I have the windows key on top for 2 reasons: to save accidentally touching it and so I can attach the pen magnetically.

Chuck_IV

If in landscape I use it with windows key on the right, I make full use of the stand though because why not? To be honest though I never find it too hot to hold.

In portrait I have the windows key on top for 2 reasons: to save accidentally touching it and so I can attach the pen magnetically.
Yep, in portrait, I just started holding it this way (windows key at the top) because I was getting frustrated with in the middle of taking handwritten notes in Onenote, I'd accidentally lay my palm on the windows button and... no more Onenote, it was back to the Start screen.

mtalinm

only ever use in landscape mode 1) on a desktop surface 2) watching a movie, in both of which cases kickstand is extended and i don't have to hold it.

only time I hold it is portrait mode, with left hand so I can point w/right. at first I was holding it windows-key-up so I could attach the pen magnetically. then I found it annoying to always have the pen attached, and also the area I was holding got hot & the fan was more noticeable.

now i hold with windows button at the bottom. no longer touch hot spots, and the fan is less noticeable when it blows as it is facing down.

hope this helps you.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I scroll from anywhere on the screen. I've found few instances that require me to use a scroll bar. In tablet mode, most of the time, it acts like most other tablets.

When holding it though, I pop the kickstand open and hook it over my left hand with my thumb around the front of the device. Makes it very stable and removes the issue of the slightly angular edges.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
When in landscape I hold it with the Windows Button on the right and scroll in the middle of the screen, in portrait mode I hold it with the Windows Button on top...

mohcho

I don't. I rarely hold it in my hand, that's what the kickstand is for. That is one of the best design features in this device. The kickstand does what all other tablets want their device to do, to stand in an upright position for optimal viewing.

I found a new way to "hold" it while sitting in the car. I must disclaimer this though, I was NOT driving, but just hanging out in the car killing time while waiting for my daughter to finish her art class. Might as well watch a movie while waiting, and instead of having it sit on my lap, I found a new way to "mount" it. I think it's pretty cool.

SP3 Steering Wheel.jpg

SP3 Steering Wheel2.jpg

I drive a 2007 Honda Fit and the kickstand slides right into the steering wheel and holds there with a perfect amount of friction.

OP
J

Jordi32

Thank you for all your input. Is there any reason why you guys prefer to hold the Surface Pro 3 with the Windows key on the right?