What's new

How do you highlight in order to copy on surface 2 w/out a mouse?

gpb59

I'm have trouble copying full text or a web link in order to paste into the browser using just the touch screen, I must be missing something, can anybody give me a tip? When I scroll my finger over something , it will usually only highlight a smaill part

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
When you select a string of test, after it is highlighted you get two little circles on either side of the highlighted text, use the circles to drag the highlight across the string....

OP
G

gpb59

When you select a string of test, after it is highlighted you get two little circles on either side of the highlighted text, use the circles to drag the highlight across the string....

thanks, that helps, however sometimes takes several times for the circles to appear, or instead of highlighting, it drags the screen over, I guess it takes technique

Omni

Select the longest word you can see. This makes the little circles further apart.

eljoe

Just perform a single short tap in any word (if one circle appears just do it again until the word is selected with two circles). The circles will appear. Is different than in iOS, where in my case i was used to long pressing to start selecting. Then just drag the circles.

galenweaver

I have an SP2 and have this problem. If I click on a work it highlights just the word but I don't see any kind of circles coming up that people are mentioning. I have not figured out how to select text when using the touch screen. I find this very annoying.

The other thing i find annoying is when i touch into a text field (while in the desk top mode) the virtual key board does not come up, I have to click the keyboard button on the task bar. .

Galen

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have an SP2 and have this problem. If I click on a work it highlights just the word but I don't see any kind of circles coming up that people are mentioning. I have not figured out how to select text when using the touch screen. I find this very annoying.

The other thing i find annoying is when i touch into a text field (while in the desk top mode) the virtual key board does not come up, I have to click the keyboard button on the task bar. .

Galen

I just tested it on my SP2 and it worked as designed, did you update your video driver to the Intel Reference Driver?

Text Fields in desktop mode no longer invoke the Keyboard this is by design, It only works in the Modern UI.

galenweaver

Why would I have to update the video driver? My SP2 is only a month old. The last firmware update screwed my battery. SP2 won't stay charged when shutdown.

I am running Intel video driver 10.18.10.3345

This thing is really starting to disappoint me, I really want to like it but it's making it tough.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Why would I have to update the video driver? My SP2 is only a month old. The last firmware update screwed my battery. SP2 won't stay charged when shutdown.

I am running Intel video driver 10.18.10.3345

This thing is really starting to disappoint me, I really want to like it but it's making it tough.

No, I was asking you if you had updated your driver, as the Intel Reference Driver isn't fully compatible with the Surface Pro 2. We need more info, what Application is the highlighting not working in?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Excel works, the Circles are White rather then the Blue in other Applications. I have no idea about Chrome, as I refuse to use any Google Software. I doubt it works the way it is supposed to as it is in Google's best interest to hobble their Windows Software offerings and they have publicly stated their lack of Support for Windows 8.x.

Omni

Excel works, the Circles are White rather then the Blue in other Applications. I have no idea about Chrome, as I refuse to use any Google Software. I doubt it works the way it is supposed to as it is in Google's best interest to hobble their Windows Software offerings and they have publicly stated their lack of Support for Windows 8.x.

I feel the same way about Google. Even there websites don't seem to work well in IE which only goes to push people away from them more.