What's new

How do I install the latest HD 4000 drivers on my new Surface Pro 8.1?

rpaulg87

I just got a Surface Pro 1 due to the price drop and because my prior windows 8 Tablet the Dell Latitude 10 was just horrible. I love the Surface Pro, but I REALLY need the intel control panel for scaling correctly on my TV (it right now displays on my TV as super stretched out, can't even see task bar). I know the stock drivers are about 6 months old, and the new Intel one was released just a month ago, but when I download it it says "not valid for this computer, contact your manufacturer for the correct one".

I have updated to Windows 8.1, this is the 128GB Surface Pro, I also turned off automatic updates but still no go with installing the latest HD 4000 drivers from Intel. I'm stuck with the old generic ones which apparently really under perform vs the new ones.

Please help if you can, thanks! I've tried the zip install and even though the new drivers are 4-5 months newer, it still says "Windows has detected that your current drivers are the most up to date" even though they are from 7\13 or something. Tried manual as well :(

Last edited:

daniielrp

You need to download the zipped drivers, unzip them, then manually point windows to them in device manager. Then you can run the normal set up package and it will allow you to run it and won't give you that error message.

OP
R

rpaulg87

You need to download the zipped drivers, unzip them, then manually point windows to them in device manager. Then you can run the normal set up package and it will allow you to run it and won't give you that error message.

I tried that. When I manually point to the directory in the device manager I just get a "This driver is up to date" even though it clearly isn't. Do I have to click on a specific extracted folder? I just use the general folder I point it to titled "new drivers" which contains all of the extracted files, there are sub-folders within it do I need to focus on one of them, as right now then windows flings back that it has the current version even though it doesn't, as if I'm not even in the right directory.

I still get "Windows has determined this software for your device is up to date", yet it is super old 7/31/2013 vs the new ones :-\

Last edited:

pierre118

- Unzip the zip file
- Go to Device Manager/Display adpater/Driver/Update driver
- Browse my computer for driver software
- Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, have disk
- Browse to the unpacked files, and go the the folder Graphics
- choose igdlh64.inf, open it, and click next
- it will install
- Reboot

Can take a long time......

ps, it will be better to uninstall the old drivers first....