What's new

Horrible Customer Service for Surface

triley35

Has anyone else had problems with customer service.? Love my Surface Pro but this is the most horrible tech service I have ever received on any hardware I have purchased.

During my warranty period a big yellow inch thick line appeared down the right side of the screen. I drove to the MS store for support. The lady there said that they did not have any replacements in stock and that they would send me to my home address one within the next week so I left it. Been nearly two weeks now, no word from them. I have called the store several times and no one can seem to tell me where it is. They keep telling me they will call me back and never do. Each time I call I get passed around to several people before I get to someone that will even address my question, and they just take my number and do not call back. I even called the Microsoft Store line, they put me on hold several times and come back and say I will have to contact the store that took it for repair/replacement. I have talked to at least 20 people over the last couple of days regarding this. I have the receipt for the work.. isn't Microsoft a tech company? You would think they would have a pretty good system to handle warranty replacements and not lose them. Would love to be able to give a technical review instead of having to write this. Unfortunately I don't have a Surface currently to write about.. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

benjitek

They're pretty bad -- and when you think you're calling the store, you're actually calling subcontracted sales staff in the Philippines, and they're just waiting for their shift to end... They will tell you anything and everything you want to hear just to get you off the line. They'll put you back in the 'new-caller' queue and you get to start explaining all over again when someone picks up as if you're a 'new' call. The worst -- they should pay Apple consulting fees on how to handle customer service, both in sales and support.

tarrant64

Correct me if I'm wrong but both of you are speaking in terms of MS store customer service, not the dedicated Surface support team. I can't speak much to the MS Store customer service but know that there is a dedicated (and in the US) support team for Surface that may be more helpful. I don't even bother with any other support channels. I've used them several times, always spoke to someone in the US, no problems. So I personally haven't really had any problems, bug I just wanted to make the distinction between store and Surface support if that helps.

Lastly, OP, had the exact issue with my first Surface. Went through warranty exchange and all was settled.

Nuspieds

When I contact Surface Support, I tend to choose to Chat; it usually works out better for me.

I've had good customer service; if I had to complain, it would be that sometimes the agents do not know enough technical details about the device.

mlooley

Too bizarre to describe
I have a MS Surface Pro that is under warranty until 05/10/2014.
Recently I have had trouble with the power supply. The reason that I know that it is the power supply is because there is a white LED on the power supply connector. When power is being supplied the LED comes on. When power is not being supplied the light is not on. Genius!!! Even more incredible – it does not matter if the Surface is turned on, or off, for the power to be supplied. Double Extra Smart Person Genius!!!
So, I foolishly went to the Microsoft support web site and after checking my “Service Status” to ensure that my product was still under warranty – which it was, (Sweet). The first web page is so nice and inviting and it has a button with the option for “Problem with a device or cover.” Oh my what to do? There are no other options that would apply. So I press it and it takes me to another page.
The options on this page are many but the only one that is available to click on is “Sign In.” Well that makes sense; after all they have to know who I am to take care of my problem. Again – they are so clever. Clicking on it I am swept away to the sign on page that displays two happy people who must be happy because below the picture in large font it says “Engage With Microsoft”
I felt the warm embrace as the web page said “Welcome, Matt” and below that it said “The Surface Online Service Center is here to help individuals with product registration, warranty info, and service orders. If you are planning to use your device for work, contact Support for Business for assistance with registering, warranty info and service orders.” …and now I was presented with the glorious option “Battery and Charging.” So do the mental math with me. …If my problem is that my power supply is faulty, would that qualify as the “Charging” part of Battery and Charging? Why I think it would! After all it is not charged with sunlight, or hand crank, or hamster wheel, or flux capacitor, or di-lithium crystals, or wishes and rainbows. It is charged by plugging the P o w e r S u p p l y into a power outlet.

After selecting Battery and Charging I filled in the “optional” Describe your problem? with this description – “Problems with the power supply. will not always show the charging light. have cleaned all contacts, and ensured that they are tightly connected. moving the cords randomly, will cause the charging light to come on, and conversely make it go off.”

I know, I know, I didn’t use very good grammar, and I didn’t capitalize the beginning of each sentence…but none the less moments later I was presented with the following receipt:
ms receipt.png

All was right with my world. Until…

About 15 minutes later my wife said “did you spend $914.87, earlier today? Do you know that we are five hundred and some odd dollars overdrawn?” Ah, no I didn’t.

Called my bank – Chase by the way is amazing. – who informed me that Microsoft had charged my checking account for the amount of $914.87.

So did you know that you can’t call Microsoft? Nope you can’t, you can schedule a request for them to call you, or you may schedule a request to on-line chat with them. Oh and by the way if you schedule a request for Microsoft to call you, and if they do call you, don’t get disconnected, because if you try to request that Microsoft would call you again, you will get the unpleasant message that you have scheduled too many calls with Microsoft.

So plan B is to schedule a request for an on-line chat, which I did. Here is the transcript of that conversation:

info: at 14:42:33
Thank you for choosing Microsoft Surface. An Answer Tech will be with you shortly.
info: at 14:42:35
Privacy Statement
You are now chatting with 'Jennifer'.
Jennifer: at 14:42:50
Hello, thank you for contacting Surface Support! My name is Jennifer. Please allow me a moment to review your query and thank you for sharing the details of the problem.
Jennifer: at 14:43:08
May I know if I am chatting with Matt?
Matt Ooley: at 14:43:33
yes
Jennifer: at 14:43:46
Hi Matt how are you today?
Matt Ooley: at 14:43:58
so far not very happy
Jennifer: at 14:44:10
I'm sorry to hear that.
Jennifer: at 14:44:35
I understand you are contacting us since there is a fraudulent charge on your account is that correct?
Matt Ooley: at 14:45:59
Approximately 1 hour ago i used your on-line warranty system to try and get a replacement power supply for my surface pro.
Matt Ooley: at 14:46:45
received a receipt from your company with $0.00 for said item.
Matt Ooley: at 14:47:16
30 minutes ago my checking account was charged for $914.
Jennifer: at 14:47:40
I'm sorry to hear that I will be glad to check that for you.
Jennifer: at 14:47:45
May I have the serial number for your device? This can be found under the kickstand of your Surface directly below the Surface logo.
Matt Ooley: at 14:47:58
i am now overdrawn for something that i was lead to believe was under warranty.
Jennifer: at 14:49:06
I will be very happy to check this transaction for you.
Matt Ooley: at 14:49:17
Product serial number: XXXXXXXXXXXX Service Order: SR# 1112223333
Jennifer: at 14:49:29
Thank you Matt.
Jennifer: at 14:50:23
I was able to check that order and what happen was you process an
Advance Exchange online and the $914 is a hold amount. Instead of processing a replacement power supply you actually process an exchange for your device.
Jennifer: at 14:51:17
Thus resulting a the hold of $914 in your account, that is not a charge but a hold amount only which will be release after you return the old device.
Matt Ooley: at 14:51:41
No, i specifically selected the only available option of battery/power supply.
Matt Ooley: at 14:52:07
I specified three times in writing that i only needed the power supply
Jennifer: at 14:52:21
There is no option to process replacement power supply online only exchange of device.
Jennifer: at 14:52:45
This is what you process online Order SKU Description Surface Pro - In Warranty – Advanced Exchange.
Matt Ooley: at 14:53:09
okay are you calling me a liar?
Jennifer: at 14:54:09
You did indicate under comments that it's the power supply that is not working however what you selected is Advance exchange, I am not saying that Matt what I am trying to point out is that there is no option to select replacement of power supply online you might have misunderstood it.
Jennifer: at 14:54:25
This is your notes: Problems with the power supply. will not always show the charging light. have cleaned all contacts, and ensured that they are tightly connected. moving the cords randomly, will cause the charging light to come on, and conversely make it go off.
Matt Ooley: at 14:54:48
secondly, moments after pressing send i received a receipt from microsoft with the amounts of $0.00 due
Jennifer: at 14:56:20
I understand what you did, what we can do to resolve the issue is to escalate the case to our Care Team.
Jennifer: at 14:56:57
Just make sure to return the replacement device that we will be sending you so the hold amount will be release once we receive the device.
Matt Ooley: at 14:57:38
So how, am I 1. to know based on the vague wording, that when I selected power that it was not the power supply, and 2. how am I to use your system to obtain said power supply, if all i need is the power supply
Matt Ooley: at 14:58:18
what will the hold amount be?
Jennifer: at 15:00:23
The online system is only to process replacement for devices and no accessories option, if you need a replacement power supply we will be happy to process it for you.
Jennifer: at 15:00:51
The hold amount is $914.84 including taxes.
Matt Ooley: at 15:01:09
No, that is not acceptable.
Matt Ooley: at 15:02:12
I don't need a new computer. I need a new power supply. Are you telling me that the power supply costs $914.84?
Matt Ooley: at 15:02:30
you have overdrawn my bank account
Jennifer: at 15:02:57
I can process replacement power supply for you.
Jennifer: at 15:03:26
The hold amount of $914.84 will be release once you return the replacement device back to us.
Matt Ooley: at 15:03:37
you have exactly 1 hour to reverse the charge of $917.84, or I begin to fill charges. and escalate this issue
Jennifer: at 15:04:59
I'm sorry about the confusion Matt but Advance Exchange cannot be cancelled what we can do instead is to escalate the case to our Care Team so they can inform the repair facility that you will be sending the replacement device back to us.
Matt Ooley: at 15:05:27
Tell you what. I'm done with you. I want a call from your manager to XXX-YYY-ZZZZ. you have 55 minutes
Jennifer: at 15:06:35
Okay please stay on the line Matt, my manager will call you in a few minutes.
Matt Ooley: at 15:07:00
you have 52 minutes
Jennifer: at 15:07:32
Thank you so much, please bear with me.
Jennifer: at 15:13:53
My manager will call you now.

Needless to say the Manager did call me and he was just as useless as the chat person as far as solving my problem.

So join me again in the land of rational thinking…

Let’s say you buy a nice new car, and it is covered by a one year 100% warranty, and then let’s say (to keep the proper analogy) that your new car comes with its own gas pump (also covered by the one year 100% warranty), you still have to pay for the gas, but for convenience as part of the purchase price of the car they throw in the gas pump.

So you go your merry way enjoying your new car until; one day the gas pump stops working. – Nothing, mind you is wrong with the car. – You just can’t get any gas into it.

So you request that your trusty car manufacture call you (let’s call them MacroHard). And you explain your problem, and they say “No worries! You’re still under warranty – your repairs will be free – We just need you to return the Car (that has nothing wrong with it) and the defective pump (that has a value of $75).

And then – without your knowledge – MacroHard withdraws the entire amount of a brand new car from your checking account. And some buffoon at MacroHard tells you that “the full price you have been charged is not really a charge; it’s a HOLD amount” that they get to “HOLD on to” until your free repairs are done!!!

REALLY! How could that ever make sense to any one?

cali

An enlightening post. Thank you for sharing the experience. Certainly hope this is favorably resolved soon.

jamesk

My local MS store is the same. No one ever calls me back and always says they have no Surface Pro's in stock whenever I try to get a warranty exchange. I went to a store in Seattle while I was there for vacation and the MS store there exchanged my unit without any questions. Online chat has alway been great too.

m98custom1212

Too bizarre to describe
I have a MS Surface Pro that is under warranty until 05/10/2014.
Recently I have had trouble with the power supply. The reason that I know that it is the power supply is because there is a white LED on the power supply connector. When power is being supplied the LED comes on. When power is not being supplied the light is not on. Genius!!! Even more incredible – it does not matter if the Surface is turned on, or off, for the power to be supplied. Double Extra Smart Person Genius!!!
So, I foolishly went to the Microsoft support web site and after checking my “Service Status” to ensure that my product was still under warranty – which it was, (Sweet). The first web page is so nice and inviting and it has a button with the option for “Problem with a device or cover.” Oh my what to do? There are no other options that would apply. So I press it and it takes me to another page.
The options on this page are many but the only one that is available to click on is “Sign In.” Well that makes sense; after all they have to know who I am to take care of my problem. Again – they are so clever. Clicking on it I am swept away to the sign on page that displays two happy people who must be happy because below the picture in large font it says “Engage With Microsoft”
I felt the warm embrace as the web page said “Welcome, Matt” and below that it said “The Surface Online Service Center is here to help individuals with product registration, warranty info, and service orders. If you are planning to use your device for work, contact Support for Business for assistance with registering, warranty info and service orders.” …and now I was presented with the glorious option “Battery and Charging.” So do the mental math with me. …If my problem is that my power supply is faulty, would that qualify as the “Charging” part of Battery and Charging? Why I think it would! After all it is not charged with sunlight, or hand crank, or hamster wheel, or flux capacitor, or di-lithium crystals, or wishes and rainbows. It is charged by plugging the P o w e r S u p p l y into a power outlet.

After selecting Battery and Charging I filled in the “optional” Describe your problem? with this description – “Problems with the power supply. will not always show the charging light. have cleaned all contacts, and ensured that they are tightly connected. moving the cords randomly, will cause the charging light to come on, and conversely make it go off.”

I know, I know, I didn’t use very good grammar, and I didn’t capitalize the beginning of each sentence…but none the less moments later I was presented with the following receipt:
View attachment 1838

All was right with my world. Until…

About 15 minutes later my wife said “did you spend $914.87, earlier today? Do you know that we are five hundred and some odd dollars overdrawn?” Ah, no I didn’t.

Called my bank – Chase by the way is amazing. – who informed me that Microsoft had charged my checking account for the amount of $914.87.

So did you know that you can’t call Microsoft? Nope you can’t, you can schedule a request for them to call you, or you may schedule a request to on-line chat with them. Oh and by the way if you schedule a request for Microsoft to call you, and if they do call you, don’t get disconnected, because if you try to request that Microsoft would call you again, you will get the unpleasant message that you have scheduled too many calls with Microsoft.

So plan B is to schedule a request for an on-line chat, which I did. Here is the transcript of that conversation:

info: at 14:42:33
Thank you for choosing Microsoft Surface. An Answer Tech will be with you shortly.
info: at 14:42:35
Privacy Statement
You are now chatting with 'Jennifer'.
Jennifer: at 14:42:50
Hello, thank you for contacting Surface Support! My name is Jennifer. Please allow me a moment to review your query and thank you for sharing the details of the problem.
Jennifer: at 14:43:08
May I know if I am chatting with Matt?
Matt Ooley: at 14:43:33
yes
Jennifer: at 14:43:46
Hi Matt how are you today?
Matt Ooley: at 14:43:58
so far not very happy
Jennifer: at 14:44:10
I'm sorry to hear that.
Jennifer: at 14:44:35
I understand you are contacting us since there is a fraudulent charge on your account is that correct?
Matt Ooley: at 14:45:59
Approximately 1 hour ago i used your on-line warranty system to try and get a replacement power supply for my surface pro.
Matt Ooley: at 14:46:45
received a receipt from your company with $0.00 for said item.
Matt Ooley: at 14:47:16
30 minutes ago my checking account was charged for $914.
Jennifer: at 14:47:40
I'm sorry to hear that I will be glad to check that for you.
Jennifer: at 14:47:45
May I have the serial number for your device? This can be found under the kickstand of your Surface directly below the Surface logo.
Matt Ooley: at 14:47:58
i am now overdrawn for something that i was lead to believe was under warranty.
Jennifer: at 14:49:06
I will be very happy to check this transaction for you.
Matt Ooley: at 14:49:17
Product serial number: XXXXXXXXXXXX Service Order: SR# 1112223333
Jennifer: at 14:49:29
Thank you Matt.
I was able to check that order and what happen was you process an
Advance Exchange online and the $914 is a hold amount. Instead of processing a replacement power supply you actually process an exchange for your device.
Jennifer: at 14:51:17
Thus resulting a the hold of $914 in your account, that is not a charge but a hold amount only which will be release after you return the old device.
Matt Ooley: at 14:51:41
No, i specifically selected the only available option of battery/power supply.
Matt Ooley: at 14:52:07
I specified three times in writing that i only needed the power supply
Jennifer: at 14:52:21
There is no option to process replacement power supply online only exchange of device.
Jennifer: at 14:52:45
This is what you process online Order SKU Description Surface Pro - In Warranty – Advanced Exchange.
Matt Ooley: at 14:53:09
okay are you calling me a liar?
Jennifer: at 14:54:09
You did indicate under comments that it's the power supply that is not working however what you selected is Advance exchange, I am not saying that Matt what I am trying to point out is that there is no option to select replacement of power supply online you might have misunderstood it.
Jennifer: at 14:54:25
This is your notes: Problems with the power supply. will not always show the charging light. have cleaned all contacts, and ensured that they are tightly connected. moving the cords randomly, will cause the charging light to come on, and conversely make it go off.
Matt Ooley: at 14:54:48
secondly, moments after pressing send i received a receipt from microsoft with the amounts of $0.00 due
Jennifer: at 14:56:20
I understand what you did, what we can do to resolve the issue is to escalate the case to our Care Team.
Jennifer: at 14:56:57
Just make sure to return the replacement device that we will be sending you so the hold amount will be release once we receive the device.
Matt Ooley: at 14:57:38
So how, am I 1. to know based on the vague wording, that when I selected power that it was not the power supply, and 2. how am I to use your system to obtain said power supply, if all i need is the power supply
Matt Ooley: at 14:58:18
what will the hold amount be?
Jennifer: at 15:00:23
The online system is only to process replacement for devices and no accessories option, if you need a replacement power supply we will be happy to process it for you.
Jennifer: at 15:00:51
The hold amount is $914.84 including taxes.
Matt Ooley: at 15:01:09
No, that is not acceptable.
Matt Ooley: at 15:02:12
I don't need a new computer. I need a new power supply. Are you telling me that the power supply costs $914.84?
Matt Ooley: at 15:02:30
you have overdrawn my bank account
Jennifer: at 15:02:57
I can process replacement power supply for you.
Jennifer: at 15:03:26
The hold amount of $914.84 will be release once you return the replacement device back to us.
Matt Ooley: at 15:03:37
you have exactly 1 hour to reverse the charge of $917.84, or I begin to fill charges. and escalate this issue
Jennifer: at 15:04:59
I'm sorry about the confusion Matt but Advance Exchange cannot be cancelled what we can do instead is to escalate the case to our Care Team so they can inform the repair facility that you will be sending the replacement device back to us.
Matt Ooley: at 15:05:27
Tell you what. I'm done with you. I want a call from your manager to XXX-YYY-ZZZZ. you have 55 minutes
Jennifer: at 15:06:35
Okay please stay on the line Matt, my manager will call you in a few minutes.
Matt Ooley: at 15:07:00
you have 52 minutes
Jennifer: at 15:07:32
Thank you so much, please bear with me.
Jennifer: at 15:13:53
My manager will call you now.

Needless to say the Manager did call me and he was just as useless as the chat person as far as solving my problem.

So join me again in the land of rational thinking…

Let’s say you buy a nice new car, and it is covered by a one year 100% warranty, and then let’s say (to keep the proper analogy) that your new car comes with its own gas pump (also covered by the one year 100% warranty), you still have to pay for the gas, but for convenience as part of the purchase price of the car they throw in the gas pump.

So you go your merry way enjoying your new car until; one day the gas pump stops working. – Nothing, mind you is wrong with the car. – You just can’t get any gas into it.

So you request that your trusty car manufacture call you (let’s call them MacroHard). And you explain your problem, and they say “No worries! You’re still under warranty – your repairs will be free – We just need you to return the Car (that has nothing wrong with it) and the defective pump (that has a value of $75).

And then – without your knowledge – MacroHard withdraws the entire amount of a brand new car from your checking account. And some buffoon at MacroHard tells you that “the full price you have been charged is not really a charge; it’s a HOLD amount” that they get to “HOLD on to” until your free repairs are done!!!

REALLY! How could that ever make sense to any one?

Thats complete uber BS.

Every time I need to return something they would just send me a new one and say you have 30 days to return this or you will be charged XXX amount

I would keep calling.

Man, an account just to post.

EDRo

Wow... and that's why I've only ever used pre-paid credit cards for online purchases and stuff like this. I had a bit of trouble cancelling my "One month FREE Xbox music pass" with MS Billing here.

TPadden

MS double billed me for my Pro 2 (bought online from MS Store). Everyone I talked to agreed and said they were working on it. MS help was polite but worthless, and the charge stayed for over 2 months. I thought I accidentally was dealing with ATT. It was only fixed after I contested the charge directly with Master Card.

Last edited:

m98custom1212

MS double billed me for my Pro 2 (bought online from MS Store). Everyone I talked to agreed and said they were working on it. MS help was polite but worthless, and the charge stayed for over 2 months. I thought I accidentally was dealing with ATT. It was only fixed after I contested the charge directly with Master Card.

It sucks.. I have dealing with insurance companies trying to get the best price. They sure will take your money but when comes to paying its a hassle

sdreamer

It's been a hit or miss for me. When I bought my Surface Pro a couple weeks ago, I had two charges as well on my CC, but apparently one is a temporary charge, so it sits in limbo. When things clear, that shouldn't be there. I have no idea why Microsoft does this, they're the only company I've had to deal with that does some authorization charge then a clearance charge of sorts, thus temporarily double charging you (for my CC it sat in the temporary charges so it didn't get directly pulled right away). Gave them a call, and was told this was normal, and it's just a hold... worked out, it cleared itself a day later. That was my "miss" with them. My "hit" was the power charger that came with my Pro is partially shot. If bent at the connector, it stops charging. Online chat with them, and they shipped out a new charger free, didn't have to send the old one back. That's 80$ free basically. So now I have 1.75 chargers (the semi-broken and the new one), and I use the semi broken one for travel because it still charges but its temperamental, and the one they sent sits at home.
If it wasn't for that huge discount on the SP, I would not have gone through Microsoft. I've had a handful of good experiences with them (like how they let me redownload a couple songs I bought, then realize I couldn't redownload because it was DRM free, or repurchasing apps I paid for, etc), but their CS is really making things more complicated than it should.