What's new

Hooking up the SP3 to a 4k TV?

Zo Shah

Hi guys

I just got a 4k TV yesterday, and have been trying to play 4k video with the SP3. My resolution shows up as 2160x1440. When I start to play videos though, they seem to run choppy at 4k. Some videos play smooth, but most are very laggy. They play fine when I'm not connected to the TV. I just have an HDMI cable connected to a belkin display adapter going into the SP3. I'm on the i5/256gb/8gb ram model. Any tips?

Thanks!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Using HDMI you're running at 30Hz would be my guess it that would make high bitrate video choppy.... using a MST Hub would allow you to take advantage of the mini-DP to hub to DP to HDMI which should allow 60Hz...

OP
Z

Zo Shah

Using HDMI you're running at 30Hz would be my guess it that would make high bitrate video choppy.... using a MST Hub would allow you to take advantage of the mini-DP to hub to DP to HDMI which should allow 60Hz...
Thanks. Could you link me to a product that could work for it?

OP
Z

Zo Shah

Yes.... as long as the monitor or TV supports it....
Thanks for the help. I just got the MST hub and it is allowing 4k display to my TV. The only thing I can't figure out is how to set it to 60Hz. The TV does support 60Hz, but I can't figure out how to enable it in the windows settings. When I go to the Intel Graphics Properties menu, it only allows me to set it to 23 or 24 Hz when I'm at 4096 x 2160. At 3840 x 2160, it allows me to set it up to 30Hz. Do you know of a way to set the SP3 to run at 60Hz?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the help. I just got the MST hub and it is allowing 4k display to my TV. The only thing I can't figure out is how to set it to 60Hz. The TV does support 60Hz, but I can't figure out how to enable it in the windows settings. When I go to the Intel Graphics Properties menu, it only allows me to set it to 23 or 24 Hz when I'm at 4096 x 2160. At 3840 x 2160, it allows me to set it up to 30Hz. Do you know of a way to set the SP3 to run at 60Hz?
I know my 4k TV has 5 HDMI ports, 2 are 60Hz and 3 are 30Hz is it possible yours is similar? Also which SP3 do you have and are you using the latest Intel Driver and Firmware?