What's new

Hiya

Doodlebear

Hi new to the forum, (I would read them but i finally decided to join in.) I had a surface pro 3 since its launch but I ended up swapping it for the surface 3. I find it suits my needs just fine since I use it for sketching/painting.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum Doodlebear!

I've personally found that for anything which is not desk-based, especially regarding pen usage, the S3 is the far superior tablet in terms of usablility (not power though of course). The form factor is just perfect for being on the couch etc. I find that even reading and highlighting textbooks away from the desk to be rather uncomfortable on my SP4 compared to my S3 due to the size and weight.

What apps do you find yourself using most for sketching and painting? My partner hasn't moved beyond freshpaint, and while it seems to work, it is also fairly limited in my view.

OP
Doodlebear

Doodlebear

Welcome to the forum Doodlebear!

I've personally found that for anything which is not desk-based, especially regarding pen usage, the S3 is the far superior tablet in terms of usablility (not power though of course). The form factor is just perfect for being on the couch etc. I find that even reading and highlighting textbooks away from the desk to be rather uncomfortable on my SP4 compared to my S3 due to the size and weight.

What apps do you find yourself using most for sketching and painting? My partner hasn't moved beyond freshpaint, and while it seems to work, it is also fairly limited in my view.

I agree completely about the portability, (I traded my dad for his surface 3 lol) Something about it just feels great maybe that its lighter too. I don't get tired holding it up at night watching a movie in bed.

I use Autodesk Sketchbook pro both the desktop and windows app versions, Also using Sketchable which I use more for rough work. I tried out freshpaint and yeah I guess it is somewhat limited. I can see it being useful for casual painting or even some work related purposes.

I was worried about the pen's functionality originally, I thought it would lag on the atom cpu. So far it's been silky smooth. Currently using my surface for work and play, it's defiantly my favorite computer of all time.