What's new

Hinge Point

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
There are plentiful growing pains regarding Microsoft's Surface computers, including Windows 10 Continuum, drivers, syncing, the App Store, dGPU, and other issues.

One thing that critics expected to be a big problem, instead proved to be a revolutionary step: The Surface Book hinge.

The physical connection of keyboards to screens on laptops and tablets has been arguably the primary failure of such devices. Rivets, pivots, pins, and screws have rattled loose or distorted out of spec, often rendering the entire laptop computer destroyed. The Microsoft hinge design distributes stress in a reticulated fashion observed in Nature. Included in the design is reversibility, and static positioning, meaning the hinge holds its position when detached.

Complaints about the hinge are rare.
Raving reviews are common.
Add me to the latter.

Photo credit pcworld.com

surface-book-hinge-100620082-orig.png

IMG_1069.JPG

IMG_1073.JPG

Photo credit gizmodo.co.uk

1462161004464729923.jpg

ctballos

I agree. The hinge just works. I rarely detach mine as I feel it hard to grasp in one's hand. I bought a skin similar to yours shown just for that reason. Hoping to apply it this weekend and get a better grip on it.

slatman11

Sometimes it seems like it is the ONLY thing that works. Never has BSOD on surface 3 which I loved. One would thing spending upwards of 3000. this thing would surpass surface 3...:(:(:(

Wayne Orwig

I think the hinge works very well also. The screen doesn't 'wobble' much compared to almost everything else I tested. Which is great for a touch screen device.
On my wish list. I wish it opened up a bit more. But I can't think of anything else.